Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Silverlight video enhancements, the server where the video is

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

Hi all,
I am in the process of trying to make some major adjustment and upgrades to my web site's configuration. I am going to be doing a demo of my new server this weekend, and I'd like to make the video downloadable as a .mp4 for users who want it on their local hard drives for reference. I will use Youtube for playing it from for now, that is, until the Silverlight platform becomes more widely adopted. When it does, and if I choose to purchase a hosting plan for the video that has Silverlight included, does the Silverlight application that will play the video from within my web site need a web site of it's own on the server where the video is to hold it up? Some clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

The Silverlight player is just code embedded in your website, just like Flash.

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:12 PM

So when a hosting company says they offer Silverlight hosting, they actually mean that they allow the code for it to be embedded on the sites on the server, or that they offer the player, but if it's just about where to put the video, that's not what matters?

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

I don't know what that means. It is sort of like saying "We offer HTML Hosting". They are not offering any code, just a platform on which to run it. Which it would do even if they didn't offer 'Silverlight Hosting'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users