Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Hangs on startup...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 feereless

feereless

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:48 AM

Ok, so I'm having problems with my computer of course. It hangs on start up; it gets past the Bios but stays at the Windows Logo and says "Loading Windows" until I am forced to shut down. Here are my specs:
EVGA 780i mobo
3.0ghz intel duo-core processor
4 gigs of DDR2 RAM
1 TB seagate HDD
1 gig of video (Gforce 9800GT 512mb SLI)

So my computer was working perfectly fine until this happened. However, this has happened before! This same exact problem happened before, so I figured it was the hard drive so I got a new one(the one I have now). Fine, it worked for about 1 month. Then this happened... again. I do not know what the problem is. Like I said in the description if my computer does get past the windows logo and I log on, after about 10 minutes of running I freeze and have to force shut down. Then I am stuck back at the Windows Logo... I have also tried to insert the Windows CD itself and try to repair windows, but even then it still won't get past the windows logo. I'm stumped! Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I read online to reset the BIOS which I did, but now it says SLI memory ready - disabled: 4 DIMMS not supported (or something like that). I figure that's just a BIOS problem but my main concern is the stopping at The windows screen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 feereless

feereless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:51 AM

EDIT: Plus sometimes it goes to a black screen after the Windows Logo and stays like that.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:22 AM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I can understand your stress, but the key is not to panic.

When you reset the BIOS did you re-enter the BIOS to set it to fail-safe defaults?

BIOS menus are set up and worded differently per manufacturer, but there is always a setting pertaining to loading best configuration or setup defaults.

Also, anytime the CLR_CMOS jumper is moved to this position, you should always re-enter the BIOS setup utility to make sure the time and date are correct and make sure all the drives are re-detected by the BIOS utility.

When you make changes in the BIOS make sure those changes are saved before exiting.

Please try that and let us know if your computer successfully boots into Windows.

On another note, you should make sure your computer is properly cleaned out for dust issues.

You should inspect cooling fans and heat sinks on a monthly basis.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 feereless

feereless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

So I couldn't find any set to fail-safe option. But I did disable something in the PCI menu in the bios that said hit disable if you are having problems booting into OS. I still get that SLI-memory error tho and it does not boot up. Any ideas?

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

Whatever you do, do not panic, you have come to the best site on the web for help.

Allow me some time to research your motherboard and the BIOS manufacturer's BIOS setup utility options.

But on a quick answer basis, the options I mention are sometimes separate from the other options available.

If you examine your BIOS setup utility, which is obtainable by pressing the keyboard key/s mentioned during system boot-up to enter setup, you will see a section that mentions which keyboard keys to use to navigate the different menus.

In this area there is usually a mention of which key to press to load system defaults, sometimes it is the F11, sometimes it is the F5 or F7 key, sorry BIOS manufacturers have their own way of writing those menus and choose different default keys for their option selection.

In the meantime, I will try to find some information from your system manufacturer on what BIOS firmware your motherboard has, then I will see what options are available.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

BTW for support, I am going to add some links to this thread for the EVGA support web site.

http://www.evga.com/support/

Owners manual for nForce EVGA 780i SLI motherboard.

http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/132-CK-NF78.pdf

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 March 2011 - 04:40 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

On this link http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/132-CK-NF78.pdf

Please observe page 40 of the manual.

Notes from Manual.

Enter BIOS Setup
The BIOS is the communication bridge between hardware and software.
Correctly setting the BIOS parameters is critical to maintain optimal system
performance.
Use the following procedure to verify/change BIOS settings.
1. Power on the computer.
2. Press the Del key when the following message briefly displays at the bottom
of the screen during the Power On Self Test (POST).
Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter Setup.
Pressing Del takes you to the Phoenix-Award BIOS CMOS Setup Utility.

Your key to load Defaults is the F7 key.

F10 is SAVE changes and exit, make sure you save the changes.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users