Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about replacing motherboard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 x.rae

x.rae

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:39 AM

A Dell technician is coming tomorrow to replace the motherboard on my Vostro 1520 laptop. Dell diagnosed my issue via online chat.

Over the past few days it's begun to quit without warning with no apparent pattern and no apparent cause. I am trying to back up files when the computer wants to work.

My question is: Will all the software need to be reinstalled after the motherboard is replaced? This is my first experience with this type of repair. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:20 AM

Most likely yes.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:23 AM

I was afraid you'd say that! :blink:

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:45 AM

If only the motherboard is replaced, then you should be OK. Your software is on the hard drive. Now, if you had to send the unit out for service instead of in home repair, then it would be a crapshoot as parts are sometimes mixed and matched.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

Ask the Tech. who comes if the motherboard is a direct replacement. If it is then you should not have to do a thing.

I used to do in home warranty repair work. Chances are good they are sending an exact match of the failed motherboard.

No new software installation should be necessary.

#6 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:34 PM

Thanks! I'll let you know the outcome.

#7 x.rae

x.rae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

I am happy & relieved to report that my motherboard was replaced with a very close approximation of the original motherboard, and everything seems to be working properly without having to fiddle with software. The only difference I can see is a different BIOS upon startup.

Thanks for the info!

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

Glad to hear we seem to have had a happy ending. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users