Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus found and cleaned, now some programs not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GSBJoe

GSBJoe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:33 AM

I have AVG Free installed and I am running Windows XP SP 3. Earlier today, AVG found "Win32/Heur" in three locations on my computer. One of the locations indicated was a program file for one my applications, Pro Tools LE.exe

AVG has quarantined the virus... now Pro Tools is not only nonfunctional, I get error messages trying to play music, as my Mbox acts as my sound card... being that the Mbox drivers were installed with the Pro Tools software, I am assuming this is the connection.

My question is: do I need to reinstall Pro Tools?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:47 AM

Have not used AVG in years.

How ever most AV`s move things to quarantine. You should be able to have it return the file to the proper location. Then you will need to tell it to ignore that file from future scans.

Just reinstalling the program(s) will likely lead to AVG quarantining it again.

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:54 AM

AVG Free is reporting many false positives after an update in the past day or two, and I suspect that this may apply to your detection also. Please see the following topic at Bleeping Computer:

Win32/heur infecting game exes

Best advice is to follow the recommendations made by AVG Staff in this matter: Links are given in the topic referenced above.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 GSBJoe

GSBJoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

OK, before I had this problem, my wife had ordered a new laptop and we passed up buying antivirus software in favor of AVG. I figured we would give AVG a chance and it has apparently found viruses on a brand new HP Pavillion.

Does anyone have a recommendation for antivirus software? Free or not, does not matter. I had Norton 360 on my mother's computer last year and I did not care for it all. I can't have AVG trying to quarantine software on a new computer, I need something else.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:43 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation for antivirus software? Free or not, does not matter.

To un-install AVG and remove it completely ...
Use the instructions, including the AVG Remover Tool, in the following link:
If You Have Trouble Installing/Uninstalling/Updating AVG: AVG 2011 + 9.0+8.x Uninstall / Re-Install Instructions

I choose to continue using AVG Free, despite the challenges it sometimes provides: However, I do not now recommend it to anyone else.

Edited by AustrAlien, 16 March 2011 - 01:47 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users