Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP will not load

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cederic

cederic

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:35 PM

Hello,
Thanks in advance, and please forgive my lack of knowledge. My computer powers on and goes through the initial test. It sees the hard drive and DVD drive, but when it goes to load windows it stays on the screen that lets you go into safe mode, last known configuration, etc. and then it restarts and goes back to the POST screen. It does this no matter what option I choose on the safe mode, last known...screen. Always the same thing...endless loops.
The computer was acting fine until last week when I installed a D-link usb adapter. It crashed the computer so I uninstalled it and did a system restore to a previous mark before. A couple of days later the computer acted like it had a momentary power failure, but it rebooted and worked for a while. I then started getting error messages and then the computer had a black screen with a problem with Windows/system32/config. I tried the repair with the windows op disk, but now it is endless loops.
I had a guy look at it and he says it has suffered a surge of some type, citing specifically that the 3 ram slots are dead. Im not so sure about that..I think one of them might be or maybe the ram stick itself, because on the POST screen it sees 2 gig of ram. It is the same if I leave bank 3 empty or fill it. FYI-He did test the HD and it is still good and my files are OK.
I guess the big question is..Is there any way to get the HD to load windows on this machine?
Thanks Again, Ced

Computer Description
Motherboard- ECS KT600-a
CPU-AMD Sempron 2500
HD-Maxtor 200g
RAM- 2.5 gb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

Try performing a chkdsk /f from the DOS Mode Recovery Console from the Windows OP CD and see what happens.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:00 AM

Actually, if you can get to the recovery console you should run checkdisk with the recover switch: chkdsk /r

#4 cederic

cederic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:08 AM

Thanks for the help. I ran chkdsk /r and it said that it found and fixed one or more errorrs. Still the same endless loops were happening with the only difference being a brief blue error screen popped up before reboot. Came so fast that I couldn't read it. I researched some and went back to recovery console and did fixboot. Then I repaired the system and software files from an old restore point. Rebooted and I am back in business... for now. Thanks again for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users