Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can i find out what I might have recently updated

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EdithBunker

EdithBunker

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

Tonight when i went to turn on my computer, I got a blue warning screen with a lot of words. I didn't write it all down, but it said something like windows has been shut down because a problem, possibly caused by recently installing software or updtes. It said to restart in safe mode. That's a quick version with my limited understanding.

I think I had just agreed to an Adobe update, but I really don't remember for sure. It was an update to something i already have installed. I guess it's stupid to not remember, but I get these often enough--to update existing programs, so I just installed it. I'm hoping there's some way i can ask my computer what I have fed it recently. :crazy:

I don't know if the problem I am having is related to this update, or something else I have recently updated/installed. Here is the problem, and it's been going on for a few days (before the update, but worse after the update). My mouse and keyboard are slow to respond.
The keyboard issue resloved when I put brand new batteries in-- evidently the others were getting old. But with the mouse, the cursor is slow to go to a location-- like a click here type button. and when I click, it doesn't respond, or it "grabs" the item ti try to move it.
I hope I've explained that well enough. This not only happens when I'm online, but tonight in safe mode, it wouldn't respond when I opened control panel. First it wouldn't bring up what I clicked on, second, it would move the grab and try to move the icon. Either way, it wouldn't open anything I asked it to.

I've run my antispyware, only one item found-- a tracking cookie. But this computer is about 5 years old, and has gotten quite sluggish, and I'm thinking I need to do a system restore.

Another side question: I have Avast AV, the free version. Is it no longer as effective? I'm looking at Norton, because supposedly it's not as invasive as it used to be? OF course that is what the salesperson says, telling us you get what you pay for in free stuff.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

Tonight when i went to turn on my computer, I got a blue warning screen with a lot of words.

Hi EdithBunker -
BSOD's aren't usually related to infections, they are related to either software or hardware issues.

Please download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Please post back if you have any problems, or just Copy / Paste the full Blue screen report

Thank You -

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:20 AM

First thing that comes to mind is dust is built up inside your computer causing a component to over heat.

Please take the time to do a visual inspection of any cooling fans and heat sinks inside your computer case.

You most likely installed an update for Adobe Flash player, I believe this to be possible because this update will be offered while you have your browser open.

If it came from Adobe, the file is probably not what is causing your problem.

You can go to ADD or REMOVE programs and check what programs you have installed on your computer. If you feel some program is causing than issue, you can un-install it.

You may have a corrupted driver as well, in most cases, it can be a video driver, a sound card driver or a network card driver.

But before we go too deep here, I would suggest examining your computers insides for dust build up.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:23 AM

Basic PC interior clean-up guide can be found here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users