Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Monitor Is Either Blank Or Has Fuzzy Lines!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ytao

ytao

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:51 AM

Hi,

This is my first post, but I will try to make it as descriptive as possible. I really appreciate any help I can get on this.

So, for the past two days, when I have come into work and turned on the computer and monitor, it starts but has lines or black spots, mostly lines and dots when the computer starts. I cannot see my log in screen or any images, just the lines and dots. I can still log in, since it goes straight to where you put in your password. Once I log in, a little bit of the desktop appears, but the rest of it is a white screen with some lines and I cannot see my mouse moving in that area. THen those lines slowly go away. And everything works fine after awhile, because the lines go away on their own. However, I have run a few virus scans and nothing has really shown up or helped. If I just turn on and off the computer now, it''ll be fine, it seems to only happen after a night of being shut off and then turned back on again. Because the monitor is fine and doesnt do any of that when I turn it on and off after a few minutes, only for the night. Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:12 PM

You most likely have a hardware problem. The likely culprits are monitor and video card. I might guess at the monitor and the problem goes away when it is fully warmed up. If this is the case it will probably get worse as the component that is failing continues to die.

If there is another monitor handy, I would swap and see if problem goes away.

If not the monitor it is possibly the video card. This is a little more difficult, but the best way to test this is to open computer and install another card. You also need to remove the old video drivers before installing the new card, so if you want to try this on your own, I would look for a video card on sale, often you can find one for $40-$50 bucks, so you have the installation instructions and drivers.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 06:11 AM

Like franktiii said, I'll bet it's the monitor dying. But just in case try unplugging the monitor cable from the back of the computer, check in the end for bent pins (some are missing, that's normal) then plug the cable firmly back in place. You do not need to do up the screws/knobs very tightly, just snug is fine. See if that makes any difference.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users