Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus screwed up my XP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rnr67

rnr67

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

I recently got help to successfully remove the System Tools virus from my computer from your site, which was greatly appreciated.

The virus has left my computer almost useless since. I was referred to this forum for further help.

Some more info since we got rid of the virus...

Besides constant random crashes on IE, Outlook Express, Task Manager, Defraging, disc clean up, etc.and problems shutting down. I am also getting this error message randomly, but daily,

"HPBOOTOp.exe - The intruction at "0X00402f04" referenced memory at "0X01cbdeaf" The memory can not be written.

Also, finding that shutting down is only possible if I shut down Zonealarm, wait 10 minutes until the "Zonealarm not responding end now" message comes up. I end it and 10 minutes later the computer will shut down.

I feel this is bigger than a Zone Alarm problem.

One last possible relevent issue...Tried to upgrade to Service Pack 3. With an AMD processor I am assuming there will be boot up problems. Found a fix at Hewlett Packard "SP37394" sofware. I downloaded, but it won't install saying I don't have the resourses. So If you are going to suggest an upgrade to SP3, it would seem I can't do that either. Is this related?

Thanks again. I hope you can help. This virus has really screwed this thing up.
Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

If you have a XP cd, maybe you could try a repair install. Google for the instructions.

#3 rnr67

rnr67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

This is unfortunately a pre installed computer, so no disk came with it.

Forgot to mention. After cleaning up from the virus, I was told to delete all old restore points and create a new one, which was done. Problem is, I can't seem to restore to any of the new restore points either, so if I need to, I can't do that either.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

Unfortunately, you may have to utilize the restore factory default option for your system.

Without an XP CD, you are limited to the repair/recovery options which the OEM (HP) implemented for your particular system.

What is the exact system model?

Louis

#5 rnr67

rnr67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

HP Media Edition SR1913WM-B Compac Presario

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

Also, finding that shutting down is only possible if I shut down Zonealarm, wait 10 minutes until the "Zonealarm not responding end now" message comes up. I end it and 10 minutes later the computer will shut down.

Have you deleted Zonealarm yet to see if this is one of the reasons for your problems ? ?
I know that some Firewalls and some A/Virus programs do run better on some systems -
A previous Firewall almost stopped several installed programs so I needed to change to Comodo (I am not reccommending that brand) -
You may need to try other security programs if there is a problem with one until you get a combination that works on your system -

Stay with hamluis if he has other advice first -
Thank You -

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

I am not familiar/skilled enough...to suggest any other way of dealing with an HP system....other than what I have already suggested, sorry :).

Louis

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

Hi again -
Revert to my post above - Delete Zonealarm (you can reinstall later if you wish to) -
Uninstallers Blogspot may have an uninstaller if you have problems -
Try another Free program for a while and see if this cures the problem for now -

Thank You -
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/support/cpes_clean.exe Link to Z / A uninstaller -
EDIT - Re : hpbootop.exe -
It is not a virus. If you had installed a hp printer in your system before then this file result of that. But usually this is not required.
If you want you can kill only if you don't have the printer.

Edited by noknojon, 11 March 2011 - 10:58 PM.

#9 rnr67

rnr67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:00 AM

I know what HP Boot op is, but thanks.

I did uninstall Zone Alarm, and so far everything seems to be fine. No crashes, bootop errors and much faster.

Really didn't think it was a Zone Alarm issue since all the trouble started immediately after your site help me remove the System Tools virus. Coincidence I guess. Maybe there was a Zone Alarm automatic program update I didn't notice. It was working fine before the virus. Anyway, seems to be going well now.

Thank you for the help. I will have to go to HP to find out why their AMD processor Service Pack 3 fix won't install.

Thanks again.

#10 rnr67

rnr67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:02 AM

BTW, I am currently using the XP firewall for now. I am open to suggrstions on a good freeware firewall the doesn't use too much resources and few conflics.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:25 PM

The Windows Firewall.

Doesn't require any care, no unnecessary alerts/data provided...does the job.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users