Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing up ASUS EeePC 1015PEM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 selkie305

selkie305

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

I just got the ASUS EeePC 1015PEM. It doesn't come with a recovery disk like my old EeePC did - which makes sense, since it doesn't have a disk drive. (I do, however, have an external disk drive that I got for the old EeePC.) I figured I could back it up to an external hard drive like (I backed up) my 15 in. ASUS laptop, but there's a little booklet with it, "ASUS EeePC Technical Updates", and it says that I need a USB storage device larger than 16GB, that doesn't have any other files on it, because they will be erased. That means a new external hard drive or a 32GB flash drive, an extra expense. Why don't they tell you this when you're shopping for a computer? I probably would have gotten it anyway, but at least I could have gotten a flash drive at the same time. What I want to know is, is there any way I can back it up on my external hard drive without erasing everything on it? And if there is, could you please keep the instructions simple? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

F9 Recovery Key

you could partition your external drive and make a 20 Gb partition for the backup. this would have to be tested to see if the Eeepc will boot from it.

first you should back up the external before resizing. you will need software to resize the existing partition and retain the data.

run recovery to copy files to 20Gb partition. test.

or buy a USB flash drive

#3 selkie305

selkie305
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

Thanks - sounds complicated. I'd better just get the flash drive.

Edited by selkie305, 09 March 2011 - 09:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users