Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive firmware for circuit board exchange

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 awath8

awath8

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

My drive fried-out and I would like to switch out the circuit board so I can recover my data. The dog knocked over a glass will just a little bit of water, it seeped through the keyboard, and 15 minutes later the drive would not be recognized. I have isolated the problem as the drive circuit board. It smelled like fried circuit when I pulled it immediately afterwards. I removed the drive and used an empty external connection to hook it up to another computer and it was still dead.
so I purchased a new drive, same make and model and switched out the the circuit boards. The drive now spins but will not be recognized in BIOS. From what I now understand I need to get the same make and model WITH the same firmware. I don't which number on label designates the firmware. Can someone tell me from this picture here in the link what number designated the firmware so I can try to hunt one down. My link

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

What you have here is a tough situation to resolve.

I have searched the Internet for firmware that would work with this hard drive and there isn't any out there that I would trust.

They do not print the firmware version on the label of the drive.

If there was any type of label, it would be on the chip.

That is not to say flashing a new firmware would resolve the problem, it can also ruin the chip so it will no longer work with housing it originally came with, rendering BOTH drives being damaged.

It is a tough call as to what is the best advice I can offer you at this point.

The only thing inside the hard drives are disk platters, the head actuator and heads, voice coil/magnet, stepper motor and spindle motor. There really isn't much in the way of electronics built inside the drive.

Make sure that the board is making contact with the connections on the drive housing.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 awath8

awath8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

I just installed the new drive after I put the new circuit board back on that came with it. It works fine. But I would still like to try to find a matching board for the old one. There must be some sort of identifying number/code to match up. Here - I will take a picture to compare differences in the label between the two Here is a pic of the new one My link

If I had Photoshop installed on this computer I would highlight the visual differences that I see, but I don't. After the model number there is "SL01 B" on the drive that I would like to match and "SL01 T" on the new one that I just installed. I am going to browse around snd see if these numbers reappear on other units that are for sale.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

Check this hard drive out on E-Bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-MK5065GSX-500Gb-SATA-HDD2H82-SL01-B-/310283869355

As for firmware, none found as of yet.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

Just a curiosity question, is it possible that you can either post the numbers off of the controller chip on the old drive and post the same from the newer drive?

If both are the same, you only need to post it once.

Or can you provide a clear, well focused picture of it?

Bruce.

#6 awath8

awath8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:11 AM

This is the back of the drive that I am trying to match My link "SL01 B"

And this is the back of the new drive that I just got today My link "SL01 T"

I don't know the significance of those number-codes on the back. I am just learning from various blogs and posts that I have read over the past few days about this firmware issue. I had already ordered the new drive by then.

I am going to message the seller in that eBay auction and see what the numbers are on the back of that "SL01 B" that they are selling. It seems a little pricey for a used drive but much cheaper than bringing going to the geek squad. I can always use an extra drive to hook up as an external but I don't want to get another one if it isn't what I need for this project.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:33 AM

You did not post pics of the controller chip, just the stickers on the bottom side of the boards.

Check with the seller on e-bay, that drive he's selling might have the board your looking for and who knows, maybe he knows a place where you can just purchase a new board from.

Bruce.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:39 AM

I am just curious does your original hard drive board have any signs of damage showing?

#9 awath8

awath8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:43 AM

I'll update with pictures tomorrow. The original board does not look damaged but it smelled fried when I pulled it out.
I purchased that drive from eBay and swapped boards and it still does not work. When I hook it to my computer via USB external it shows up as unallocated. So I have been tinkering with recovery programs with no luck yet. Recover My Files doesn't seem to be showing anything yet and at this rate it will take 4 days for the program to fully search the 60k partitions. It shows up as a "physical drive" and recognizes the size and model as well. The first part of the scan went through 10k partitions in a half hours or so but then a second phase started to scan 60k partitions. I also downloaded Zero Assumption Recovery but every time I start that program it goes directly in to "Not Responding" and freezes. I reinstalled it, same thing. I dunno why. And then I tried Ubuntu trial but that showed nothing when I hooked up the USB. I am assuming that the boards are not an exact match but I really don't know. I can provide pictures. I might contact Toshiba support.
Are there any other free-to-try recovery programs that I can try?

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:07 AM

Are there any other free-to-try recovery programs that I can try?

Here is a whole list of them from Google search I did, but mind you, you'll have to check those programs out, see what they can do and how much functionality they have.

Don't forget FREE programs do not always have all the features you'd want them to have, some have limited abilities unless you purchase the full versions.

This link should help you out some what.

Just remember I am linking you to Google search with free hard drive recovery programs chosen as the search words.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=+free+hard+drive+recovery+programs&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=+free+hard+drive+recovery+programs&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=2373608f42b2bb24

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users