Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cycbot.b computer restarting before I can try much

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 njmac

njmac

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

Hi,
I've trailed through the many previous posts regarding the cycbot.b trojan but I haven't found a similar case to my own.
Firstly I have a laptop running Windows 7, 64 bit. Last week I downloaded a small app to convert video files from one folder into another (for my portable media player). Once downloaded I scanned it with ESET NOD32, it came up clean and I tried to install. Almost immediately a warning flashed up from NOD32 to tell me I had a virus. I hit the clean/delete button but now am paranoid that it was a fake pop up and I actually allowed the trojan into my system at that point. The laptop restarted within seconds and therein lies my major problem. If I try to start windows normally I get the usual few programmes starting up (post it notes app etc), then a virus warning and the computer restarts.
I've managed to boot into safe mode a couple of times to move my photos and essential files over to an external HDD so hopefully they're safe enough. When I try to boot into safe mode most of the time though I get a blue screen of death flashing for a second or two with and ICQ error I think it said. And we're back to the lapto rebooting. It has tried to send me through system restore and various recovery options but always I get to the desktop and it restarts itself again.
I've tried various boot discs including Dr Web LiveCD but no luck so far (none of the USB boot options have worked, even when I change the boot order in the BIOS). Dr Web's main interface wouldn't load so in the Advanced mode I set it to scan and left it for around 12 hours to churn through. The end result was apparently 49 infections, which were renamed. I then tried to reboot but nothing has changed.
I started to wonder if there could be a problem with the laptop's memory so I tried DR Web's memory check option on the Live CD (advanced menu) but it went a bit mad. So I now have MemTest86 running to see if it finds any issues.
I've trawled various forums in an effort to resolve this but now find myself begging for advice before I resort to reformatting and starting again (not the end of the world since I've rescued the essential photos etc but I'd prefer not to have to just now).
I've also tried searching for files manually and deleting registry entries as per http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_scanning/removal-of-backdoorwin32cycbotb-trojan/3ddcce16-0d2b-4bdd-97b5-82e55f7ffc72 but I find that my paths aren't the same in my registry or folder structure when attenpting this (on the rare occasion that I can get safe mode to stay without giving me BSOD).
I've tried running a batch file to kill the processes that cause issues (in normal mode) but it only seems to kill one process before the screen goes black and I'm back to the start again.
Oh yes, I've tried running various tools like Malware bytes from safe mode but they won't run (even when I rename the files before running).

I'm officially at the end of my tether with this one so any assistance that can be offered would be genuinely appreciated.

cheers
Nj

couple of quick phone pics as I was fighting with it
Posted Image
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

Hello, I should also tell you this about this backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.

If you want to clean Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 njmac

njmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

thanks for your help boopme. I'll take a look at those links and report back on how I'm progressing. I'd like to clean the computer if possible, even just temporarily. I'm not overly worried about banking passwords etc as we use an online banking system with single usem disposable passwords here. I'll still feel more secure wiping it and starting again in the near future.
cheers
nj

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

Ok ,well post the DDS log there and they will clean it.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users