Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB HDD format

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LynnBR

LynnBR

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

Stupid user question of the day. Purchased a Verbatim 2TB USB 3.0 HDD, came formatted as FAT32. When attaching to 6 month old 64 bit computer, it crashes computer with above BSOD - when in Win 7 Pro, when booting from Norton Ghost disk, anytime. Can successfully attach to 32 bit Win XP Pro system. Have another ext HDD formatted NTFS which connects to both systems with no problems. Verbatim tech support response was that drive is fine since it connects to one computer successfully. Should formatting external drive as NTFS fix the problem and allow it to connect to 64 bit system? Don't want to do if this won't fix problem, as I will return if can't use on some computers. Or is more likely a driver issue? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:28 PM

If you can connect this drive to an NTFS computer as a slave drive, you should be able to right click and format it.

I have installed an NTFS operating system over a 32 Bit one many times with no problems.

The Windows NTFS type operating system installation disk usually does the formatting automatically.

But if for what ever reason your situation is not allowing you to, you should try formatting it from a system which has NTFS on it.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 LynnBR

LynnBR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:34 PM

MrBruce,
Thanks. Is the FAT32 formatting the reason I cannot use this drive on a 64 bit system? If so, I will format to NTFS. Otherwise I will not, and will probably return, as I cannot take the chance of crashing a computer by connecting it. There is no OS on this drive, and I do not need to install one. This drive is for archival storage only.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

I would try it as long as it does not void any warranties.

If you was to attempt a clean install of Windows XP and up the drive would be formatted as NTFS anyways and I need to mention that if you store any files on the drive from an NTFS file system it would become an NTFS file system drive anyways.

I can not see them voiding your warranty if you attempted to format it, but then again, I do not know if they will claim you damaged the drive.

If in doubt, read the small print on your warranty or contact customer support and ask them.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

All external drives come initially formatted in fat32 to the best of my knowledge.

While I do not think formatting it to NTFS will solve anything it will not harm it. Should you decide to return it you can reformat it to fat32.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users