Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Horse Generic 21.ALDP - in Adobe Reader 10.0

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 HKP2

HKP2

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

Today I seem to have contracted Trojan horse Generic21.ALDP. I can't find much info about this on-line.

What happened is that my Adobe reader 10 was disabled and when I clicked on my Adobe Reader 10 icon, I think it downloaded a trojan???

Now, a "Resident Shield Alert" which APPEARS to be (but may not be) part of AVG, keeps appearing with a "Multiple Threat Detection" list.

The list indicates just shows Trojan horse Generic21.ALDP over and over and seems to want me to force its removal. Whenever I close the "Resident Shield Alert," it pops up again just a few seconds later.

Is this a new one? What to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tdicovers

tdicovers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

I am infected as well and I cannot uninstall adobe X in safe mode or regular.

#3 citizen dick

citizen dick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

Ditto here! Had to reinstall Adobe for whatever reason. The virus alert didn't pop up right away, but the first time I opened a PDF file, I got the same alert as above. I ran a trend micro scan and that showed nothing. I also ran AVG, which showed nothing, which is odd since it was apparently AVG that gave me the alert in the first place.

Grrr.

Am looking forward to any info about this. I am an event producer with my biggest event of the year coming this Saturday, with my computer acting like blind cripple on a fistful of Vicodins.

#4 HKP2

HKP2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:03 PM

Hi fellow sufferers. I downloaded Foxit to read pdfs, and although the problem is not resolved, at least I CAN read pdfs now.

I'm also running Superantispyware (and plan to try Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes as soon as the scan is done) but nothing is turning up so far.

#5 rbngan

rbngan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

Just started today for me. I installed Adobe 10x last Friday. It worked fine and viewed lots of PDFs. Found solution at http://www.computing.net/answers/security/trojan-horse-generic21aldp/34256.html. It worked for me to uninstall 10 and install 9. - must be some issue with AVG. It's free what do you expect. I'm sure a fix for AVG will come out soon and I will try to install 10x later.

FYI you can get the other versions at: http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

Edited by rbngan, 09 March 2011 - 05:17 PM.

#6 rollindeep

rollindeep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

I got it too. Hopefully someone will get it figured out soon. I've looked on a few other sites also and have come up empty.

#7 HKP2

HKP2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

I'm not being allowed to uninstall Adobe Reader X either.

#8 citizen dick

citizen dick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

Ok, it looks like it's not a virus at all, rather, a conflict between Adobe 10x and AVG. Solution: uninstall 10x and reinstall 9.4

worked for me.

You can get 9.4 here

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

The detection appears to be a "false positive" by AVG by I could not find any reports at their form.

There have been a number of complaints at the Adobe Forums in this discussion thread. Some users reported they updated the AVG definition database and the detections have stopped so AVG has probably already taken corrective action.

BTW, there have been a lot of complaints with Adobe X to include issues with both Firefox and Internet Explorer. Some examples reported at the Adobe Forums after updating to Adobe X can be found here:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/776060
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/756080?start=0&tstart=0
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/756518?tstart=0
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 rollindeep

rollindeep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

Quietman7 - Any advice for those of us who cannot use or uninstall Adobe X?

#11 HKP2

HKP2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

I can report that once I updated AVG, I was able to uninstall Adobe Reader X.

So I'm using the free Foxit pdf reader (which seems pretty good) until I'm sure this mess is ironed out. Unfortunately, there are some things related to my job that require the most recent version of Adobe Reader, so I'll have to download it again soon.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

The false detection is an issue with AVG so I'd be complaining to them or looking for an alternative.

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

NOTE: With the release of AVG 2011, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Unlike previous versions, AVG 2011 cannot be effectively disabled to prevent it from interfering with other security tools...after restarting the computer, AVG re-enables all protections. Read these related discussions:There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, has issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and has removed its Editor's Pick listing.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative.

As for Adobe Reader X, I removed it after experiencing issues with my browser and reverted back to v9.4.1. The correct way to remove any program is to use Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7 first, then restart the computer and delete the Program folder if it still exists. Note: With some programs its best to uninstall while in "safe mode".

Remove all previous versions of Acrobat or Reader

Adobe Reader installs by default into C:\Program Files\Adobe. Another method to remove it is to open Windows Explorer, navigate to that folder, click on Reader > Setup File, then expand the randomly named folder {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A93000000001} and double-click on Setup.exe. Setup will allow yo to repair or remove Adobe Reader. Click next and select the option to Remove.

As an alternative to Adobe Reader, you could remove it and use Foxit Reader or Free PDF Reader instead...your choice.

#13 HKP2

HKP2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

Thanks Quiet Man! Is there a free alternative to AVG which you are recommending now?

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

Free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one). I recommend any of thesee.

#15 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

looks like you have a false positive or you have downloaded a fake of adobe reader which I've seen to happen. Run Malwarebytes just to make sure you're clean, and if you are, then it's just AVG having fun messing you up. You need to either use Avast or Avira. Both of those have much better detection rates than does AVG.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users