Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

eMachines N-10 CPU Surgery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 slycer

slycer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

Thinking of doing surgery on an eMachines N-10 just for the experience and the hell of it. The laptop is currently running an AMD Mobile Sempron 3200+ processor, alias "Keene." The current plan is to upgrade this to the AMD Turion 64 X2, alias "Tyler". I'll probably go with the TL-58 or the TL-60. They are both socket S1G1, like the Sempron. Any thoughts? Have I missed something that would kill the laptop? My only concern is that I do not know where to check to see if the BIOS would be compatible. I don't think I can contact eMachines (Gateway, Acer, whatever) and ask this. Thanks for any input. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

I will go out on a limb and say it should work. HT speeds are the same. Only concerns are with the wattage (31-35 watts on the Turion, 25 watts on the Sempron, and whether the BIOS of the motherboard supports a Turion.

There were systems offered with the Turion/C51MV chipset combo, so you know that the chipset supports the CPU.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

Actually found out this is more complicated than I originally figured. To "unlock" X2 capability that the Turion needs, I need BIOS version 79.13. Currently the computer is running version 79.10. While some laptops were sold with the Turion and the 79.13 BIOS, Gateway has never officially released the 79.13 BIOS for public consumption. To do this successfully, it looks like I will have to replace the motherboard with one from a donor computer that originally had this setup. I think I'll rethink this project...
Thanks for the help anyway...

Edited by slycer, 11 March 2011 - 02:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users