Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open wmp and internet explorer on windows 7 ultimate.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ebayguy

ebayguy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hi
I have windows 7 ultimate on my hp laptop. for a month now, I cannot open window media player. When I click to open wmp, it does not do anything. If I go to song and click play, it gives me server execution failed error. And now, I cannot open internet explore 32bits. But, I can open internet explorer 64 bits. Please guide me thru to the solution of this problem. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:00 AM

It seems like you are not alone with this issue, try googling your problem and you will come up with serveral hundred hits right off.

You must be using Windows Media player 12.

You may try the steps as below and check if the issue gets fixed,

Lets try these three troubleshooting methods first and verify if it is resolved.

Method 1.

Now you have to stop the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and check for the issue, to do that you need to follow the steps provided below.

1. Control Panel -- Administrative Tools -- Services. Find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, open it, click on Stop to stop the service.

2. Close Windows Media Player 12 if it is started.

3. input %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\ to Windows Explorer to find the folder.

4. Move all files in the folder to another place as a backup.

Note: Move files in the specific folder will reset database.

5. Restart Windows Media Player to see if we can add files to Library now.

Method 2.

1. Click on Start and in the search bar type cmd.exe
2. Right click on cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator
3. In the command prompt type the following command

net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Local Service" /add

4. Press enter and restart the computer

Method 3.
Uninstalling and Reinstalling the Windows Media Player:
Step 1.
Uninstalling the Windows Media Player:
1. Go to Start and in the search type "Turn Windows features On or Off".
2. Click on "Turn Windows features On or Off".
3. Browse to the Media Features and uncheck the mark in front of Windows Media Player.
4. Restart the computer

Step 2.
Reinstalling the Windows Media Player:
1. Go to Start and in the search type "Turn Windows features On or Off".
2. Click on "Turn Windows features On or Off".
3. Browse to the Media Features and place a check mark in front of Windows Media Player.
4. Restart the Computer.

Try playing the file now.

If this does not work we move to method 4.

Method 4.

Open the Windows 7 RUN command and type the following.

SFC /SCANNOW

Allow it to scan your windows files for problems, if it finds any, make sure you have your Windows 7 installation disk handy.

This may not correct your problem and if it does not, we have to look at what other programs you have that might be causing conflicts.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 marcbuck

marcbuck

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

It is interesting that your instructions says "Control Panel - Administrative Tools". My Win7 has no such selection as 'Administrative Tools' in the control panel, so I can't possibly follow the instruction, can I?

#4 marcbuck

marcbuck

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:43 PM

I have tried methods 2 - 4 to no avail (method 4 did nothing, as the command prompt window does not open). I would like to try Method 1 but cannot because the instruction does not match my OS.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:51 AM

It is interesting that your instructions says "Control Panel - Administrative Tools". My Win7 has no such selection as 'Administrative Tools' in the control panel, so I can't possibly follow the instruction, can I?

If you have control panel in windows 7 set to category you will not see adimistrative tools in the list of options.

Here is how to make it appear:

In your control panel look for a little drop down arrow with the words VIEW BY next to it, click it, you will see a choice of either category, small icons or large icons, choose either large icons or small icons, now you will see Administrative tools plus a whole new list of other options.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users