Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Downgrading" from Vista to XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyHS

JohnnyHS

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

I am working on a co-worker's computer. It's a Dell Studio 1537 laptop. We have an XP Pro CD that I'm using to install XP on this Vista machine. I had to go into the BIOS and change from ASHI (I think that's it) to IDE on the hard drive thing or else I got a blue screen with a stop error. So, I did that and now, it will go through the formatting process and say it's copying files and all the things it is supposed to do. However, when it gets to the point of rebooting, the computer goes off, then it comes up to the Dell screen and then goes back off and keeps on repeating the same thing. I've tried change back from IDE in the BIOS and it doesn't do anything. I'm kinda in limbo here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Did you delete and recreate the partition as part of the XP install?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 JohnnyHS

JohnnyHS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:25 AM

Dude, not sure, but I got it to work. Now I have to go get the XP drivers for this laptop. On Dell's website, it only shows the ones for Vista. If you could help me with that, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks so much for the welcome. Hopefully I can be of some help to someone here as well as get help.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:32 AM

Some newer systems do not support XP. The ONLY place to obtain drivers for a laptop are at the oem (in this case Dell) website. If there are none, you need to uninstall XP and go with a newer OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users