Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally Installed Paralel Versions Of Winxp Os And Lost 90 Gigs Of Hard Disk Space

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 happykat

happykat

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:43 AM

Once Upon a time...today actually... I tried to reformat my WinXP Pro version with a new WinXP Pro version, having lost the first disk I purchased.
In a first attempt at reformatting my machine with WinXP PRo I accidentally installed a parallel version in a different partition. I searched the net to find out how to delete one of the OS's from my computer. I found out that by going to the start menu>Run and typing cmd in the open line that I could then delete any additional OS versions according to the ID #. When I restarted my system and pressed any key to boot from my CD Rom with the New WinXP installation disk in the Drive...I saw that the computer recognized both of the WinXP OS's that I had running on my machine(one in the C: partition and one in the D:). In an attempt to delete the second system ID 2(BOOTCFG /Delete /ID 2...residing in the D: partition) ...it came up with " ERROR: Wrong Boot id specified ...and when I tried " BOOTCFG /Delete /ID 1"(WinXP OS residing in the C: partition) I got "Cannot delete the OS entry, since there is only one OS entry" when actually there are two. "cmd.exe" running in my machine, only recognized the one in my C drive, ID 1. In this amateur attempt to reformat my machine I have lost my 90 gig F: partition and I'm not sure how to get that back. The C: partition shows 20 gigs total in the properties menu and the D:partition shows only 17 in total. There should be 120 gigs all together on my hard disk...not 37.

Hmmmm...anyone got a happy ending for this story?

P.S. I'm no techy so please be patient :thumbsup:

Thanks, HappyKat :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:05 AM

Reboot with the cd into the installation of windows xp, and when it says what partition youd like to install it to. Delete both partitions, and create one. Or if your drive isnt partitioned, just format the drive.

#3 happykat

happykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:27 AM

Hello Salo

Thank you very much for the reply...I have done what you suggested and that has fixed the paralel OS problem but I'm still faced with the missing 83 gigs. Do you know of a way to reset the computer to detect the missing space?

Mike ( a.k.a. HappyKat)

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:58 PM

What size is the hard drive? I'm wondering here about the 137 gB limit on some systems.

Go to Start...Run...and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

In the applet that pops up, see if you can see where that 90 gigs might be - it might be unformatted space that you can repartition and use.

Let us know what happens
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 happykat

happykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:34 PM

Hello Usasma

I believe that my computer was 140 gigs in total...I now have 37 and I'm looking at the aplet after following your instructions...I can't see any sign of the missing gigs.

Veddy veddy strrrange :thumbsup:

Could the hardisk volumes be corrupt?

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:20 PM

Did you format your disk as NTFS or FAT32? If you did format the disk with FAT32, at least this may explain the lost disk space. Although that would limit it to 32GB ..not 37GB as you mention.

From - Size Limitations in NTFS and FAT File Systems

In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems.

and ...

From - Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP

You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users