Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Computer on LAN having the same Name

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aPpLeSiA90

aPpLeSiA90

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:52 AM

I have setup 5 computer on a Local area network connected to a router.

PC1(Same-PC), PC2(Same-PC), PC3(Same-PC), PC4(Same-PC), PC5(Same-PC)

As you can see that all the 5 PC have the same ComputerName and UserAccount created.

PC1(Same-PC) created a HomeGroup using the feature in Windows7pro. The rest of the PC is not able to detect the PC1(Same-PC) and asked to join the HomeGroup. Instead, all the PC can only create HomeGroup, not join any of the created HomeGroup by PC1(Same-PC).

All PC are running Windows7pro.

Will the rest of the PC be able to join the HomeGroup created by PC1(Same-PC) once i have renamed to Same1-PC, Same2-PC, Same3-PC3, Same4-PC ??

Or is there any other solution to allow all computer to join the HomeGroup??

Thank in advance..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

All of the computers need to have different names in order to be on the same workgroup or homegroup. Renaming the computers should be all you have to do.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 aPpLeSiA90

aPpLeSiA90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

Thanks.. I have confirm that renamed the rest of the PC will work.

I would like to know if you are familiar with setting up ipv6 DHCP server in windows7pro.
The DHCP server will be used to stream video out using VLC player to the LAN using ipv6.
Client running windows7pro will use VLC player to capture the ipv6 traffic that is stream out by the DHCP server using ipv6 MultiCast.

I am currently using the windows7pro HomeGroup to Create the ipv6 LAN.
I am still thinking of the next step after setting up the ipv6 LAN.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

DHCP servers only supply automatic addressing and nothing else. So i am a little confused here. I am assuming you are using a router for internet and that can be used to setup DHCP. Depending on the model some of them can do IPv6. The software would provide the streaming capability.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users