Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Browser Slow Downloads

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 arblargan

arblargan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:49 PM

Last night, I reformatted my computer and just installed Windows 7 before I went to bed. Before the reformat, my download speeds in Chrome were maximum, as well as firefox. However, after the reformat, I cannot get either browser to download any files past 50 kB/s, and my ping is never lower than 160. The part that throws me for a loop is my download speed while I'm downloading from Newsleecher, a Newsgroup client, is maximum (1.35 MB/s, 12 Mb ISP). Also, Steam has my ping at 160, just the same as my speedtest results.

I usually can figure these things out on my own, but after I couldn't find an answer regarding Chrome's slow download speed, I tried going back to FireFox. Unfortunately, FireFox is the same story as Chrome. I've scoured google, but cannot find anything that has been able to help me out. I also know it isn't my anti-virus because even when it's disable, all of the above happens, still.

Here's my speedtest SS:
Posted Image

My CMD ping of Google.com:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\TJ Computer>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [74.125.225.18] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.225.18: bytes=32 time=418ms TTL=54
Reply from 74.125.225.18: bytes=32 time=800ms TTL=54
Reply from 74.125.225.18: bytes=32 time=581ms TTL=54
Reply from 74.125.225.18: bytes=32 time=192ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 74.125.225.18:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 192ms, Maximum = 800ms, Average = 497ms

C:\Users\TJ Computer>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

Just a guess, but did you update the driver for your NIC card? Windows 7 comes with a load of drivers, but sometimes the manufacturers will have updated versions of drivers that MS does not include.

#3 Grimmbly

Grimmbly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

If you were to remove any cables from the computer and or unplug your PC a few things you might want to check. First, is your LAN cable. Try using a different one. Often times I have found is cables go bad. Also check and make sure you have the most recent drivers. Windows 7 likes to install Plug and Play drivers right from the get go and they sometimes do not always work. Most importantly check the date set on your machine. Setting your date 1 year ahead by accident will mess up your internet speed a lot, especially with secure HTTPS sites. Finally, check your firewall and internet settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users