Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After curing computer of over 800 virus/hijackers etc still cant use USB /Serial/ sound ports

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 comjewell

comjewell

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

so this will make my 3rd area of topic post! but we are making progress! however we still cant seem to get the USB ports the serial mouse and keyboard ports and the sound to work. Here is a link that will show you what we have done so far! this issue is so odd because everything else on the mother board works... there is a card installed to the mother board with 4 USB ports on it... those are the ONLY set that work... however with a keyboard and mouse plugged in there we can only get them to work once the computer is completely booted up... so while i can boot into safe mode i have to do it through command prompt... and doing anything in bios seems to be impossible since i cant F2 to get there in boot up! any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic380305.html/page__st__30__gopid__2162154#entry2162154
If you cant fix it... Kick it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:33 AM

Hello Comjewell I see from the previous posts that you're using an E machine computer with Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3, are you able to tell us what the model # is for the computer. You made mention of an extra USB card installed in the rear of the PC so I'm going to assume this is a desktop PC.

#3 comjewell

comjewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

yes it is a desk top! and T5212 serial number is grd6a 100 04271 and lists a part number of 95106600020

#4 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:44 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, I went ahead and referenced the computer's model and known driver lists / specs

Emachine T Series 5212

Are you at all able to access the internet and download files via the computer in question. Also if so, have you already tried downloading and installing some of these drivers for your missing or corrupt components?

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:30 AM

It would be a good idea to update your current your drivers as it could be possible the viruses might have damaged them.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 comjewell

comjewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:24 AM

yes i can access the internet and dl files... which drivers would you like me to attempt... and @ killer... i have all ready tried to update them... it doesnt work it claims everything is up to date... and i dont know if the ones i need are missing or not

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:36 AM

The drivers Crazy49er linked to are the ones you want to try.

I would start with this one. > Chipset Driver Intel 8.0.0.1010 2.7 MB 10/17/2009

Side note; When you attempted to update them through Device Manager only Microsofts site is checked for updated versions. It is always recommended to go to the OEM site to obtain\check for drivers.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:43 AM

The chipsets relates to the ports problem.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 comjewell

comjewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:57 AM

well i downloaded and installed... and upon reboot i am now stuck on a nice black screen that says INTEL and has a huge E in the middle of the screen... any suggestions?

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:07 AM

Power off again. Holding the power button until it shuts off. Then try starting it again.

#11 comjewell

comjewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:12 AM

ok back up still no luck with usb ports or anything else :(

the funny thing is the blue scroll wheel light is on ... but not the red lazor for the mouse :?

#12 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

If you cannot use the usb ports at boot time it is a BIOS problem not a windows issue. Windows only controls the hardware after the post process is completed. My first order of business would be to reset the CMOS to see if that solveS the issue. If not my next try would be to flash the BIOS. Does the PC have PS2 ports for a keyboard? If so and you have one they almost always work at boot time when there is a USB issue.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Having glanced through your previous threads I see you are having trouble navigating into the BIOS due to a USB keyboard. Not an unusual problem on some machines.

Have not been able to find a good listing of specs on the PC to see if it has PS2 ports. Could you please verify that it does and if so, do you have access to a PS2 keyboard?

EDIT: Just checked the single BIOS update listed for that make and model.
Taken in part from the accompanying Read Me file.

Reason for Update
This update resolves issues with the hard disk drive disabled in the BIOS Setup Utility.

No mention of fixing USB issues.

Edited by ThunderZ, 09 March 2011 - 09:21 AM.

#14 comjewell

comjewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

buy serial ports i was referring to the round ports for keyboard and mouse... i dont have a keyboard with that style of connector but i do have and adapter... and it does not work that way either... any ideas on how to work around that?

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

... any ideas on how to work around that?

PS2 keyboards are getting hard to find but are still available pretty cheaply.

That would be my first thought. But no guarantee it would work. Though it should.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users