Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mobo Lights Up Fans Don't Start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

I posted earlier - but posted in internal hardware...Probably wrong forum. Building on boared outside of case. This is what I have done.

I have connected CPU, heat sink and fan to MOBO
Power supply is connnected to MOBO

I power on and the MOBO green light comes on, but the fan on the PSU and on the CPU fan does not start.

MOBO: Asus M4A89GTD Pro
CPU: AMD PHII X4 840
PSU: OCZ 600W ModX Pro

The PSU was pulled from a working computer. Working computer did not have additional 8 pin connector. So, it may be a PSU problem although, the PSU is less than 6 mos old.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

If the motherboard has an additional 4 or 8 pin connector it must be connected. That connector supplies power to the fans you mentioned as well as the processor.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 tizzyloucat

tizzyloucat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for your answer. I have made that mistake before, so that is not the problem. ASUS told me that the CPU I was trying to use was not strong enough to power the board. I got a list of compatible CPUs after the fact and ordered one that is supposed to work with it now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users