Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Varying Internet Speeds?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Torn05

Torn05

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

So my parents upgraded from at&t to Comcast, and I get much better speed even at the lows than I did with at&t. I honestly do not know what exact plan they signed for, but it was through Best Buy and they had checked off 8 meg. As for the speed varying so much, I have gotten as low as 2 Mb/s to 26 Mb/s. I believe the 2Mbps was a one time thing and my average low is around 8Mbps. The average high is in the high teens. Could this simply be Comcast's powerboost feature? Thanks for any help.

Speedtest.net Results:
-------------------------------------------
~1950 miles
Posted Image

Same place -
Posted Image
--------------------------------------------
<150 miles
Posted Image
Same Server
Posted Image
~300 miles
Posted Image
This test was pretty consistent, varying from 12 - 18 but usualy around 17.
Thanks again.

Edited by Andrew, 08 March 2011 - 06:52 PM.
Mod Edit: Imagified Links - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

Not familiar with the power boost feature.

What it more likely is, is a combination of things. Including total Internet usage at peak hours vs less usage at off hours.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

I think Powerboost is more of a marketing gimmick than a real feature. My ISP in Canada Rogers is running a Powerboost ad campaign right now. Very light on specifics.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

I do not know the specifics on such programs when it comes to Cable or DSL connections.

I do know they are snake oil = basically fake when it comes to related programs for dial-up.
On dial-up such programs actually are downloading less graphical data related to how the page renders. This simulates faster download speeds but in reality you are getting a lower quality viewing experience of the pages you do view.

#5 Torn05

Torn05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:21 PM

Since my upload varies a little as well, should I stick with my lowest speeds, say 2Mbps, for reference if I put up a game server?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users