Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Run Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trixxie7

trixxie7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

Hello. My computer was recently infected with malware. After running many utilities to clean the machine, as a last resort, I ran a system recovery which went back to factory defaults, XP sp2. I noticed that i could not run windows update from the start menu or from going to the microsoft site. I get an IE cannot display page. I manually downloaded service pack 3 and installed it successfully but still cannot run windows update. I have run malware bytes and also ran combofix which detected a rootkit problem. Even after that fix, I still cannot access windows update. Please help, i have spent 3 days trying to get this computer working again.

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2011 - 05:13 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

trixxie7,

Please post the MBAM logs for me to review. It's possible that your still infected.

Have I helped you? If you'd like to assist in the fight against malware, click here Posted Image

The instructions seen in this post have been specifically tailored to this user and the issues they are experiencing with their computer. If you think you have a similar problem, please first read this topic, and then begin your own, new thread. I do not offer private support via Private Message.

#3 trixxie7

trixxie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

The MBAM logs are clean. After i did the recovery, malware bytes found nothing. here is the log data:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5990

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512

3/8/2011 4:13:58 PM
mbam-log-2011-03-08 (16-13-58).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 228326
Time elapsed: 39 minute(s), 23 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

Check these settings:

Remove Proxy Settings from Internet Explorer
  • Open your INTERNET EXPLORER
  • In your Internet explorer in the menu on top, select Tools > Internet Options > Click the Connections tab > Lan Settings button.
  • On the resulting screen, UNCHECK everything under Proxy server.
  • Click OK below to confirm the settings.

Have I helped you? If you'd like to assist in the fight against malware, click here Posted Image

The instructions seen in this post have been specifically tailored to this user and the issues they are experiencing with their computer. If you think you have a similar problem, please first read this topic, and then begin your own, new thread. I do not offer private support via Private Message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users