Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a new PC but having trouble

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GLV3

GLV3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

the build

-ASUS P6X58D Premium Intel i7 X58 1366 Motherboard
-Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor
-NZXT Phantom Full Tower Chassis
-Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Universal CPU Cooler
-DDR3 6GB 1600MHz TRI CORSAIR 3 sticks of 2 GB
-Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
-Thermaltake TR2 TRX-1200M 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
-EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

when it is turned on all of the fans work even the ones on the video card and the cooling tower but I hear the beeping code for cannot detect VGA followed directly by hardware error. The USbs from the motherboard and case arent sending power to my keyboard, mouse and No signal displays on my monitor when i restart it.

All of the lights light up on the motherboard but for some reason the usb ports arent registering,

Is this a motherboard error or could the video card be causing the error. Everything is brand new out of the box

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

Frustrating isn't it? I built an AMD setup last week, first time it wouldn't boot as I had the memory in the wrong slots (no mention of that in the manual), then it wouldn't boot because I had left the EPS connector unplugged when I was fiddling with the memory. Oy vey.

Simple stuff first- are all of your power plugs (24pin and 4 pin motherboard, and 6-8 pin video card plugs) connected properly? Is your memory in the correct slots (blue or black)? Next, unplug all of your USB devices, keyboards/mice etc, try to boot? Sometimes USB devices short out. Unplug hard drives, and optical drives from power and the motherboard. Main thing is to isolate the board with only the bare necessities needed to boot-CPU, memory, and video card/monitor and nothing else connected. Any luck? Still a no go, pull the board out of the case. Verify all case standoffs are in the correct position so there are no shorts. Lay the board out on a nonconductive surface (I usually use the mobo box). Hook up power, video card-monitor, 1 stick of memory in the default slot, see if it will boot. It looks like you have power/reset buttons built on the board (nice feature). Go from there, and good luck with it.

Edit: Check voltage on one of the spare molex (4 pin) connectors. Yellow to black should be 12V, red to black 5V.

Edited by dpunisher, 08 March 2011 - 07:47 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 GLV3

GLV3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

Thanks a lot ur advice fixed everything, I was able to fully utilize the usbs after I booted and loaded everything else one by one. Turns out I put a 5 volt and a 12 volt connecter into the video card when it needs 2 12 volts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users