Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PnP Software enumerator problem, no sound!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 systemtool

systemtool

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

Hey all,

I've been working on this for a few days, and can't fix it.

I had the "google-redirect" rootkit on my computer, and I managed to remove it with the Kaspersky TDSS rootkit unhooker. In doing so, it removed the corrupted file and didnt replace it.

The file was swenum.sys, one of the two files that makes the windows plug and plug software enumerator work. So this left me without sound. It showed up as "no audio device" in control panel.

I tried to reinstall the PnP enumerator by replacing the machine.inf file and removing line 20 (? or 21, I'd have to look again). But anyways, this gave me a multiple copy of Pnp enumerator. So, I then tried to get rid of the duplicate entry by deleting it from the registry (using regedt32). Only, every time I try to do this, it won't stay gone. The system became pretty unstable whenever a program loaded that runs audio (opera, ie, etc.)

I also tried deleting the doubled up ghost entries (all the Kernel audio drivers) that show up in device manager, that didnt do anything, they came back each time I rebooted. I finally removed the HDaudio device altogether, that got rid of all the kernel audio errors, and created an error with my PCI device? The system is stable now, and running a lot faster (I took the opportunity to strip a bunch of junk from my startup).

My question is, does anyone know how to successfully remove a duplicate entry of PnP software enumerator? And, I can't figure out where to get the drivers for my PCI device!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

this guy seemed to have sucess

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/233356-45-swenum-problems

bottom of his post links to here

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1106055897?s

need your computer make/model or motherboard make/model and/or soundcard make/model if you need help finding your audio drivers.

Edited by caperdog, 08 March 2011 - 06:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users