Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Meddia Servers No Longer Working On XP Pro Box

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 simmikie

simmikie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

i am very new to Home Theater, and recently set-up a way to stream content from my computer (in my office) to my Home Theatre (in my living room) i did this by purchasing a Trendnet Wireless n router, and a Trendnet Game Adapter (i do not game) the Trendnet Gear came with Nero 4 Home Essentials, which for some reason i no longer remember after installing that software i uninstalled it and began using TVersity. that set-up worked okay (the Trendnet Game Adapter would frequently lose the connection with the router), but when connected i could watch movies from my computer through my Home Theatre.

one night while watching a movie (streamed) Windows update decided it was time for an update (unknown to me)and rebooted my computer. since that time, i have been unable to get TVersity server to even run (even after completely uninstalling cleaning with CCleaner and reinstalling). since i also use Roku, i decided i would try that for reading from my computers harddrive. first i installed the recommended Chanru(?) installed easily, would run, but no luck connecting to Roku. so i decided to try also recommended Rokbox and the recommended moongoose media server. well moongoose (or maybe mongoose) installed, seemed to run, but Roku could not/would not see it. i even went back to and reinstalled Nero 4 Home Essentiaals, which installed, started up, seemed to run, but could not connect to my Home Theatre or perhaps even more accurately, the Home Theatre was not able to see the files on my computer. i am close to just buying a Western Digital hub/ Media player and be done with the whole thing. But i have a harddive already dedicated just for media, and one to back up my media, i really don't want to spend money on a third, especially if fixing this issue just involves a tweek.

i realise this is not a Home Theatre Board, but i am curious, since my set-up worked fine (depending on the mood of my temperamental Trendnet Game Adapter) up to the point of the Windows Update:

1) has anyone experienced the latest Windows Update doing something to an XP Pro machine that would inhibit sharing?

2)would/could a Windows Update disrupt file sharing or media servers? if so what?

3) if none of the above fits, can anyone think of anything i can test/check??

i am thoroughly baffled and admittedly over my head.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users