Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lappy 486 Upgrading

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:20 PM

Hi everyone!

I got a laptop, its not a Lappy 486 but pretty darn close. :thumbsup: Its a Dell Inspirion 3500, 300mhz PII, 96 mb memory. Anyway, I was thinking of upgrading the processor, and Ive looked at other peoples 3500s and the one with the fastest processor is a 400 PII. The style of the processor is "MMC-2" (type that in on ebay--there will be a lot) It shows there is MMC-2's up to PIII 850s! What I was wondering is what is the max I can put in my laptop, I was looking at a PIII 450 minimum, but didnt know if that would fit. Anybody know? Thanks in advance, -Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:52 AM

It will depend if you can remove the CPU or not. Alot of notebooks of that era had the CPU sodered onto the motherboard. Open it up and see. In any case I don't believe you will be able to run a P-III on that notebook. I believe the best you will do is a P-II 400mhz or a rare P-II 450mhz. I don't believe the BIOS will reconize it.
I thought you were going to amp up your ram to 160mb? That will give you the best preformance increase, all be it minumin. You may also see benefit to moving to Win2000 Pro from Win98. In my experince I find W2k uses resources better.
Good luck

Merry Christmas.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:22 AM

An upgrade I'm considering for my laptop (Toshiba 2515CDS, 266 PI) is a better HDD. Yours probably has a 4000-some RPM, or a 5400 RPM drive, and they make 7200 RPM laptop drives now. Of course, make sure you don't already have a 7200, but I don't think a laptop from that generation would.

Also, a computer like that will run Wondows XP, suprisingly enough, just slowly...until you apply some tweaks. My laptop (96MB Ram, as well) ran XP just fine, and just as fast as 98 after the inevitable "98 slowdown". More ram will help this, of course. 2k will still probably be faster, but I've never used it.

Edited by Lanscader, 22 December 2005 - 11:37 AM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:36 AM

Ahh. I had you two mixed up

#5 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:38 PM

Yes the cpu is removable, i had it out when i took the notebook apart. Im also going to get 256mb of ram (max for this laptop) sometime next time i can go to the store. And i did think about XP, but the problems ive had with it just made me go with 2000. The only thing that runs XP is my desktop, everything else is 2000. So i guess ill get one of those PII 400s and 2 128 sticks soon.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:44 PM

That was something you left out. You should have a nice little notebook. W2k is a good OS. It is very stable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users