Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Help Installing A New Video Card.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jorywlu

jorywlu

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:20 PM

I have an Ati X800gt in my computer right now, and I find it plays the latest games like Most Wanted NFS on the highest settings the cards seems to be pushed to the limits. I just a bought a 32inch LCD HDTV for my monitar and bought A brand new ATI Radeon X850 XT PCI express. I want to install this myself. I just want to make sure I know what I am doing before I do it. Do i simply remove the old card and put this one in, turn on the computer and the computer should have bad resolution settings until you install the drivers. Is that it?????? Is there anything I should Know about that I most not do to insure the safty of my computer. I just don't want to short out something.......Any adivce would help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:03 AM

It should be straight forward.

Go to the Device Manager and uninstall the drivers and delete the card from the list.

Turn the computer off and trade out the video cards. Make sure the fan gets plugged in. I know this sounds silly but you do have a PCIe slot and not an AGP. Just checking. It has happened.

Make sure you have the drivers cd handy. When prompted select manually select the device. When it pops up select Have disk..

Once your drivers are installed you will have to reboot and you should be in buiness.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jorywlu

jorywlu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:11 AM

How does that work, where does the fan usually plug into.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:21 AM

How does that work, where does the fan usually plug into.

How does what work?

You should be able to plug into one of the standard power plug.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:09 AM

Heres a little tutorial I wrote
http://techsomething.net/InstallVidcard.htm

With a pcix motherboard, youll need to find the corresponding pcix slot, usually an x16. they look like this.
Posted Image

Simply unplug the computer from the psu, wich is a little cable, pull iut out. Put the new card in, plug it into the power supply, boot up install the drivers and have fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users