Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent Restart Problem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lackadaisical

Lackadaisical

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:31 PM

Hello everybody,

I've recently had to deal with getting some particularly nasty viruses and trojans off my computer (Dell Dimension 8300 running Windows XP Home w/SP 2). Although I've gotten rid of any malicious programs, I've found I have another problem: frequent restarts.

Mostly I notice the problem every time I play video files (mpegs, avis -- be it on my hard drive or embedded in web pages). The screen will either go black, come back on, and then restart, or just completely restart. When this happens, I don't receive any error messages. I've even turned off the Automatic Restart option but that hasn't worked.

If anyone could help me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kilala

kilala

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:07 PM

Sounds a lot like my problem. I have a thread up too,( Bin Hope Ford And Other Hidden Programs )/(Real Player/media Files Cause Crash And Restart), you can check out and see if it helps you out. Can you let me know if it works or if you have the same problems as i do if you do?

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:19 AM

It maybe a virus related problem. It could also be a corrupted video driver. If you have the drivers cd, go to the Device Manager and choose the reinstall option under you video card's properties.
If you don't have the cd download and place themin folder . When you reinstall point the reinstall to the folder as if you were selecting a cd .
Let us know how it turns out.

Merry Christmas
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Lackadaisical

Lackadaisical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:12 AM

Well, I definitely suspect a video card problem now. I turned on my computer this morning only to find a blue screen saying it has an error in file nv4_disp and it is stuck in an infinite loop.

So, I researched the problem and decided to update the driver to the new version from nvidia. Well, that made things worse. The computer was restarting more often and had lines appearing across the screen sometimes similar to a worn out VHS tape.

So then I decided just to reinstall the video card software from the CD that came with the computer. Things became worse still. Now I'm lucky if I can get the computer to start normally or even get past this blue screen.

To make matters even worse, while installing from the Dell CD, I get a trojan warning for Win32.Pigeon.G (which I blocked).

Help, please!

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:41 AM

What does the video do when you start in Safe Mode. This should use standard VGA drivers. If it's the drivers it should look normal just in 640X480 pix and 16 colors

#6 Lackadaisical

Lackadaisical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:12 AM

It does look normal in safe mode. If I try to start in normal mode, I usually have 10 minutes before the computer freezes now. As of right now, I am keeping it off and using another computer.

I'm thinking I should just go out and get a new graphics card (ATI so I can scrap this nvidia nv4_disp problem). Does anyone think this is a good idea? If so, any help on which card to get is appreciated. I am running a Pentium 4, 3.00 GHz, 512 MB RAM, and I need something fairly inexpensive (less than $200).

By the way, thanks for all of your quick responses.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:48 AM

Try going to the Device Manager and uninstall the drivers from the deveice listing.
Once it is uninstalled delete the video card from the Device Manageer's list.
Do not reboot. Turn your computer off for about 1 minute.
Start your computer and when prompted install your adapter with the cd, not the list.

You may have a virus, but this is the quick fix. If it dos not work you can alway purchase another card.

#8 Lackadaisical

Lackadaisical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:20 PM

I've uninstalled and restarted. However, I am not able to delete the device. This card is my only video card, so when I restart, plug-and-play automatically finds it and the trouble begins again. Should I turn off PnP? If so, how do I go about that?

Sorry for all the questions.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:41 PM

I've uninstalled and restarted. However, I am not able to delete the device. This card is my only video card, so when I restart, plug-and-play automatically finds it and the trouble begins again. Should I turn off PnP? If so, how do I go about that?

Sorry for all the questions.

If you uninstall the drivers, then delete the video adapter from the device manager and when it reinstalls the problem comes back. You may have a virus. I think it's time to go to the HJT Forum and post a HJT log. Go to HJT Forum and review the "Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log " topic.
Please follow the instruction to the tee. DO NOT modify the HJT log. You ca Damage the registry beyond repair. You will have to reinstall your Operating System.
I'm sorry but I think other than buying a new card you are down to this.

#10 Lackadaisical

Lackadaisical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:18 PM

I kind of figured that I would have to buy a new card after dealing with this computer this morning. I don't think I have a virus, as I have a few different anti-virus/spyware programs running and 2 firewalls.

I will create a HJT log and post it to the other forum.

Thanks for all your help. Enjoy the holidays!

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:24 PM

Running two firewalls is a bad idea. You will get conflicts. Are you running two software firewalls or one hardware and one software?

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:22 PM

Running 2 antivirus programs at the same time is a bad idea also.

The error is in nv4_disp - that IS NOT the cause of the error (and your reinstall of the driver helps to confirm it). Something is trying to access nv4_disp in a manner that isn't recognized - hence the loop it refers to.

Also, there are several free nVidia driver removal tools that will remove all traces of the nVidia drivers from your system (usually recommended for severe driver problems): Here's the links:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=806
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3233
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3214
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=865

Finally, the title of the error message (or even it's hexadecimal number) will help in troubleshooting this problem. If you don't have it on hand, it's likely in your Event Viewer under the System category. Just right click on the error messages, select Properties, and look for the strings of hexadecimal numbers ( ie 0x0000007b ). Let us know what they are and we can start narrowing down the possibilities.

You can also search your system for the file "mini*.dmp" (without the quotes). The * in the search string refers to the date and dump number for that date - for example, the first dump created today would be mini122205-01.dmp. If you find it, here's a nice tutorial on doing a crash dump analysis. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
If it's still all Greek - post it here for us to look at.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Lackadaisical

Lackadaisical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:32 PM

Well, okay, here's most of the information I have.

I have been running Windows Firewall and AOL's Firewall (I actually just started using AOL's during my run-in with recent viruses). I use Symantec Antivirus Corporate as my main antivirus software, plus I also used Ad-Aware. To get rid of my viruses (because the virus disabled any updates I might have received), I also used Spybot and used the trial version of SpySweeper. I'm still operating in safe mode, but I have since deleted the AOL security center program and SpySweeper.

As for the blue screen codes, here they are:

0x000000EA (0x82A69558, 0x82D39500, 0xF8A71CBC, 0x00000001)

I don't know if it helps, but I had a computer engineer friend of mine check my event logs and he said everything looked fine.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 09:53 PM

If you have error logging enabled (it's done by default in XP), then there should have been a copy of the Blue Screen code in the Event Logs - hmmmm?

Anywhooooo - the 0xEA error (shorthand for what you wrote) is usually associated with a device driver (typically the video driver). Here's a link to a more detailed explanation: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...md_stp_agho.asp

My suggestion is to go to the ATI site (since the specs for your model say that you've got an ATI video card), download the Catalyst Uninstaller and the latest Catalyst drivers. Then, remove the old drivers with the Uninstaller - then install the new one's.

Here's a link to the information page for the Catalyst stuff: https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...ge&folderID=293

Here's a link for the Catalyst Uninstaller: http://support.ati.com/ics/support/DLRedir...=737&deptID=894

Here's a link for the Catalyst Drivers (v5.13): https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2...m_enu_29124.exe
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 Lackadaisical

Lackadaisical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:04 AM

Sorry I wasn't able to post recently as I was away for the holidays.

I've run every virus scan I know of and my computer is as clean as I think it can get. I will post my HJT file in the appropriate forum so someone can check.

I also reverted back to my old NVIDIA settings. The computer runs normally now. However, the computer still restarts whenever I play an mpeg or a video file through a website. Although, in safe mode, videos run fine, albeit in lesser quality.

And to usasma, my video card is an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. It's odd why the error code would denote an ATI card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users