Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not recognize wireless card

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 theparasiticmind

theparasiticmind

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

Hi everyone. So two days ago I formatted my comp and reinstalled Windows on my Dell Studio 1555. This was my first time doing a fresh Windows install. The only drivers I seemed to need were for my Radeon Mobility card and my wifi, which wasn't showing up in Device Manager. I wasn't worried because my graphics card didn't show up until I installed Catalyst. Unfortunately, I don't even know what wifi card I have. Since this is refurbished, the Dell website doesn't give me a parts list.

I went through all Windows updates, and Windows didn't automatically find drivers for it either. Dell does have a system where you put it in your model and it gives you all available drivers for that computer. I downloaded all possible wifi drivers but all failed to install. My Device Manager does show 4 "other devices" including 2 other devices, 1 network controller and 1 system device but I don't know how to make them be recognized as whatever they actually are.

Last night I installed Ubuntu. On two other older Dells, fresh Ubuntu installs always detected wifi cards and only needed the Broadcom fix. This time, Ubuntu also doesn't recognize it. Since I installed Ubuntu and it doesn't work, could it possibly be something with bios? I have no idea; far from a computer expert here. Hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

one the other devices is likely chipset drivers, check the dell site, install it first, then other drivers listed for the laptop

Edited by caperjac, 08 March 2011 - 01:35 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

Here are the drivers for your system on the Dell website.

Install the chipset drivers first then reboot.
Dell makes it kind of hard to determine your wireless drivers.
My guess is that the Broadcom is for the ethernet and the Intel is for your wifi.
You only need to install the chipset, video, audio, sound and network drivers.
Nothing else on the site is necessary.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 theparasiticmind

theparasiticmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:27 PM

Thanks, will do. I'm an idiot and left out a crucial bit of information; I can't believe I thought this was irrelevant. So I bought a refurbished Dell Studio. But it was running a little hot, which I understood was a problem with that model, so I asked for a trade and they obliged. About two months in, this is the problem I began to experience: If I hit the f g b keys too hard, or I move my computer too abruptly, it would shut off, restart or freeze. The last one is most common. i thought it might be an hdd issue, but I don't hear any scratches and my computer doesn't lag or w/e. Could it be loose wiring or something? Could it have contributed to this problem? Thanks. Sorry for verbosity.

EDIT: Would you recommend BIOS update while I'm at it?

Edited by theparasiticmind, 08 March 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

Is the system in post 4 the same as in post 1?

I would not recommend a BIOS upgrade unless it addesses an issue that you are having.
If the BIOS update fails for whatever reason you could end up with a paperweight.

#6 theparasiticmind

theparasiticmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

Yeah same system. Woah really? I didn't think there was anything on the software side that could irreversibly brick a computer...Scary

EDIT: Sorry for the deluge of questions. The Dell drivers page has video drivers for Radeon + integrated graphics. Do I need the drivers for the latter? I have no idea how it works; does my mobo have graphics that my laptop falls back to in some situations?

FINAL EDIT: The downloads on the dell site were down so in the meanwhile I went to Intel and downloaded a generic driver version 10.305 or something, which found no hardware on the diagnostics test so it didn't do anything. Just now I downloaded the 3 intel drivers available on the Dell site; the first was an older version of the drivers I dl'd from Intel and it said it didn't support downgrading. One failed to work and a second unzipped fine but I didn't know what to do with. So, mission failed. Should I go to a repair shop? I don't have the money for it...

Edited by theparasiticmind, 08 March 2011 - 06:28 PM.

#7 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:48 PM

Unless you're very sure about what you're doing altering the BIOS is bad mmmmkkkay? Lots of red tape.

I would try downloading the one that says "Dell-Driver Wireless WLAN 1520 Half MiniCard", once it is downloaded to your computer run it and it should unzip the needed files to your C:/Drivers folder and in most cases it will install itself from there. If not you can hunt it down easily by going to that folder and matching up the R# driver you just downloaded with the folder and finding setup. It will probably prompt you afterwards to restart the computer in order to take effect.

Edited by Crazy49er, 08 March 2011 - 09:48 PM.

#8 theparasiticmind

theparasiticmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

Ok, cool. Out of all the drivers only one unzipped so I'll try installing it when I'm back on my own computer. Thanks guys.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

You are on the right track.
Keep us posted!!

#10 theparasiticmind

theparasiticmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

Ok, results:

Dell - Driver: Wireless WLAN 1520 Half Mini Card: extracts but then when I try to install, "This Hardware is not supported. Then it said, try to install with recommended settings, and the result was OS not recognized. This is Windows 7 64 bit btw, which is the set of drivers I'm downloading.

Intel - Driver: Wifi Link 5000 Series WLAN

"This software package cannot be installed on your system."

Intel - Driver: Intel Wifi Link 5300/5100

I'll try to figure some stuff out...thanks for your help guys. If anyone thinks of any other ways to attack this that'd be cool. I just can't imagine this computer is totally done for.

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

Try the Intel drivers that are not the half mini card.

Dell makes it kind of difficult to determine which you really need.
If you can get on the internet cabled you might consider just having the system go to the net & get the correct drivers for it on its own.

#12 theparasiticmind

theparasiticmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:49 PM

I did try them, those were the ones that returned 'software package cannot be installed." The laptop has been wired most of the time, I responded that one time from my friend's computer. Windows Update didn't find the driver. I'm worried the hardware isnt being identified on some really low, basic level but again I have no idea what I'm talking about. Anyway guys, thanks for all the help. Sorry to be such a pain...

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

Here is the best way to determine what hardware you have install in your system, this will also make it easier for us to offer a recommended driver for that hardware.

How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to post your computer's specifications to the forum with minimal effort on your part. This is often helpful when troubleshooting problems, and the person helping you needs to see the details of your computer's hardware.

Tools Needed
  • Speccy - First, you will need a program called Speccy. According to Piriform: "Speccy is an advanced system information tool for your PC." This is a very useful utility that every PC user should have in their arsenal.

Instructions
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    Posted Image

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 theparasiticmind

theparasiticmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

I ran speccy a while ago and it didn't recognize the wireless card. I have no idea wtf is going on I've never had Windows not recognize the hardware at such a fundamental level. BUT, great news. So when I first installed Ubuntu, additional drivers had nothing for me. I just checked again, and there was a broadcom wireless update and I'm on wireless on Linux right now. YES YES YES. So...how do I translate this best-discovery-ever to Windows? I'm tearing up right now... The Ubuntu driver is for Broadcom BCM4311, 4312, 4321 and 4322. Damn, I'm really sorry Im asking you guys to hold my hand through this I hate being like that. So close...I can taste it. The only modem is right by the window in my living room and I have like a 3 ft ethernet cable. I've been sitting on the floor for days...

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:17 AM

What service pack is reflected in System Properties?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users