Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making an old hard drive work in a different computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:07 AM

Is there a way, if the "new" pc is still running, to use an "old" hard drive in it? After I make it a slave, is there something that can be done so it can become the master? I have an old hard drive whose motherboard stopped working. (It was old.) This hard drive has many now-unavailable games on it that my mother-in-law enjoys. (Two brain tumor operations, thyroid cancer, breast cancer. She needs some enjoyment.)

If not, could you please provide step-by-step, for-the-idiot instructions on any way to get the data from the old hard drive and put it on the new one. The new one does not have anything on it I want to keep. I have read about osi and such, but I have yet to be successful at creating one.

Thank you.

Cas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

Let me see if I understand the question. You want to know if you can take a hd from one system, install it in another, and boot to it. Is that correct? If so, the answer is no. If there is data on the drive that you want to transfer, that's easy - just move it from the old drive to the new one after you slave it. If there are programs on there you want on the new one, they have to be installed - you can't just copy them. If this is not what you were asking I apologize - please clarify.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users