Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had security tool; cant save HOSTS file

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KirbyK

KirbyK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

Greetings.... I had Security tool and followed the instructions for removal posted on this website. It worked great and I am much appreciative. However... after deleting C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS file, I cant replace it using "save target as... from the link. (bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-tool step 22, 23) I'm told that I don't have administrator privliges. This is my home computer, running Vista with a Intel core 2 Quad. Thank you...

Edited by Orange Blossom, 08 March 2011 - 06:25 PM.
Moved to AII for initial assistance. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KirbyK

KirbyK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

Well so far the computer has been running fine. So what is .... drivers\etc\hosts file? seems to be running fine without it. I'll research more about it tomorrow when I have time. At work right now... no time to look.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

You may just need to right click on the file amd select Run as Administrator.

But it must have worked... When using the Internet most people connect to web sites, ftp servers or other Internet servers by connecting to a domain name, as in www.bleepingcomputer.com. Internet applications, though, do not communicate via domain names, but rather using IP addresses, such as 192.168.1.1. Therefore when you type a domain name in your program that you wish to connect to, your application must first convert it to an IP address that it will use to connect to.

The way these hostnames are resolved to their mapped IP address is called Domain Name Resolution. On almost all operating systems whether they be Apple, Linux, Unix, Netware, or Windows the majority of resolutions from domain names to IP addresses are done through a procedure called DNS.

The Hosts File and what it can do for you
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users