Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 is the Monster in my computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 teaside

teaside

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

Finally upgraded to IE8 a few days ago with help from this site and for a few hours it looked OK. Then I started getting the MANAGE ADD-ONS interferring with every move I made. Part way thru downloading a newspaper or any other site that obnoxious garbage would get in my face. I have searched thru Google and Microsoft sites on how to remove or disable it, all to no avail. There are no other sites to pick from in its left side choices. IE8 does not appear in the Add/Remove listing in Control Panel so I can't delete IE8 from there and go back to IE6. Yes I am a luddite but at least it did not interfere with my decisions. Who the heck was the nerd who decided to include that garbage? I want my computer back please!!! teaside

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

It's in Add/Remove. Scroll down to "Windows Internet Explorer 8"

#3 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

Allan: Quote from my post above IE8 does not appear in the Add/Remove listing in Control Panel . Checked the entire listing from A to Z.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

If you installed it, it should be there. Make sure there's a check mark in "show updates" at the top of Add/Remove

However, if you still can't find it follow these steps from Microsoft:

• Carefully select and then copy the following command:%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
  • Click Start, and then click Run.
  • In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
  • Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
  • Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
  • When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

Edited by Allan, 08 March 2011 - 10:17 AM.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:05 PM

Finally upgraded to IE8 a few days ago with help from this site and for a few hours it looked OK. Then I started getting the MANAGE ADD-ONS interferring with every move I made. Part way thru downloading a newspaper or any other site that obnoxious garbage would get in my face. I have searched thru Google and Microsoft sites on how to remove or disable it, all to no avail. There are no other sites to pick from in its left side choices. IE8 does not appear in the Add/Remove listing in Control Panel so I can't delete IE8 from there and go back to IE6. Yes I am a luddite but at least it did not interfere with my decisions. Who the heck was the nerd who decided to include that garbage? I want my computer back please!!! teaside

You can go back to IE7 but you can't go back to IE6 anymore and security wise, you shouldn't do it anyway. There's no support for it anymore. That's what malware producers want you to do. The chances of getting infected greatly increases with IE6. If you don't like IE8, I suggest you switch to Chrome. That's what I did a couple of months ago. It's much easier to use than Firefox and much faster than IE. BTW, you can't remove IE. You still need to go to Microsoft sites so you're not allowed to remove it. It's human nature to be averse to change but sometimes you have to change for your own good.

#6 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

This may help
Microsoft Support

Don't give up on IE8 until you've worked with it for awhile. Plus it's much more secure than IE6!

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#7 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

frankp316: Quote ...you can't go back to IE6 anymore
Allan: IE8 never did show up in Add/Remove even with update box checked. I followed your (Microsoft) suggestion and did get rid of IE8.
That took some time but when I did a warm boot some problems still were evident then I realized that I had installed IE7 first a few days ago.
So back to square One and uninstalled IE7. That took close to 45 minutes with the registry portion and lo and behold I have IE6 back again. It is the devil I know versus the devil or devils I want no part of.
IE6 suits my needs and works for me. If some sites no longer support IE6 then so be it. Their loss in most cases, not mine. It is better than what I first
had to contend with back in 1985 or 86. Walk down the hall to the boss's sectretary and borrow a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk for Wordperfect or Lotus 123 and load
it on my dumb terminal, back down the hall (500 feet, uphill both ways :P ) load my data disk and I was good to go for the day. Then upload day's work to main frame down the hall.
To show that I do indeed have IE6 back I have attached a copy. Hope that works. If not then trust me I have IE6. Have I ever lied to you before?
Thanks again to Allan all who responded. teaside

Attached Files

• Attached File  IE6.BMP   455.94KB   7 downloads

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

Of course you have IE6. It's part of the OS. It was never uninstalled.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:14 PM

Using IE6 is a serious security vulnerability. Even Microsoft says not to use IE6. If IE7 and IE8 aren't to your liking, then maybe a different browser would be? Firefox, Chrome, Opera and many others are freely available for you to download and try out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users