Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 not recognizing dual WBFS formated external HDD at same time

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dovedescent7

dovedescent7

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

Hello all

as the topic states, my main desktop and my netbook cannot recognize having two identical external hdd's at the same time.It will recognize each seperate,but not both at the same time.

The reason i need this is that i am backing up all my WII iso's

both hard drives are WD mypassport 500gb external portables (both powered by USB), and each are partitioned. on one partition its formated ntfs,the other WBFS and both are the exact same like that.

i guess im wondering if its because i named the second hdd drive x and drive z?

i got a warning when formating the second one something like (windows doesnt like when you name the hdd letters like x and z)

so do you think this would be my problem?

what i dont get is that both drives can be recognized when plugged in seperately... hmmm... weird.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NicciAdonai

NicciAdonai

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

With both drives plugged in click Start, then right-click Computer and click Manage. Select Storage > Disk Management. Do you see them there? If so, try re-lettering the partitions by right-clicking each one and selecting the relevant choice (I am not at my Win7 machine but on XP that would be "Change Drive Letter and Paths...").

If you do not see them, try it with only the X/Z drive plugged in so that Win7 recognizes it, and follow the same steps to re-letter the partitions.

Not saying it will work but it is worth a try. FYI, I believe network drives are often designated X/Y/Z.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,238 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

Letter assignments...have absolutely nothing to do with drive recgonition, unless you have two drives with same letter assigned.

I've always assigned non-boot drives...alphabetic letters in reverse...so I have W, X, Y, Z, among others.

Louis

#4 dovedescent7

dovedescent7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:37 PM

Yeah i changed all the drive letters around... on both....still only one being recognized at a time

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,238 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

Do both drive show up properly when connected...in Disk Management?

Can you post a screenshot from Disk Management with both drives connected?

Louis

#6 NicciAdonai

NicciAdonai

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

Do both drive show up properly when connected...in Disk Management?

Can you post a screenshot from Disk Management with both drives connected?

Louis

This. It was my first question. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users