Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it just me or my choice of email hosts?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:20 PM

It is VERY VEXING (not to mention ticked offable) just to try to get my mail and respond to it on Yahoo. Are all email services like this? Never used to be.

When I try to select the mail I want to open or respond to or move to a file folder half the time just as I'm ready to select it, the screen rolls up or down and I inevitably select and open something I didn't want to see just then.

Once or twice would be annoying but I get tons of mail and dealing with this very day for a considerable length of time / as long as I'm on yahoo - is getting on my NOIVES.

Is it just me? Does anybody else "get" this? It's hard to select a specific thing to open or look at or send or whatever because the dang screen is moving up and down (maybe its to make room for advertisements at the top?

Either way, I could and will do without it maybe I should get my mail elsewhere or is this standard across the board?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

Do you see on top of the screen something that says "Tracking" and names or phrases follow?
It is yahoo telling you that the current fad on their search engine is whatever they list up top.
That will definitely do the up/down screen motions, making selection of a mail item impossible, like you say.

Mine stopped, but I'm not sure how. I did have to disable javascript on that mail page and tons of other things in Opera to quiet things down, but it keeps reappearing on and off regardless.

I consider it malware. Yahoo considers it a great feature to tell me the popular search words.

See this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic361104.html

Edited by tos226, 08 March 2011 - 08:39 PM.

#3 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:05 AM

Not trying to be a impertinent but I don't have this problem with Yahoo mail. If I may ask of either one of you, is this a paid(premium) account? I ask because I used to have a paid Yahoo account but it was switched to a free account when I changed from ATT dial-up to dsl from the local telcom. Consequently I don't use Yahoo much.

When I had the premium account, every time I checked the mail I was always badgered by Yahoo to try some new email system they had concocted, had to keep declining the offer.

Edit:

Well never mind. I just tried it with Opera and it was impossible to read anything. Page loads, pauses for a second then redraws a blank gray screen then redraws normal. Just keeps looping like that. Was all I could do to "sign out".

No problems with it using Firefox though. Don't see "Tracking" any where on the page. Although there is a small "Trending Now" box on the right side of the page with a list of names/terms in it.

With Opera the page won't stay put long enough to find much of anything.

Sure acts like malware. Some great feature, makes reading email an exorcise in futility.

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

Not sure I follow exactly the complaint, but I find a problem that might be similar, in which I try to open a different email message, but the wrong one opens instead; usually the one I just had open is reopened when I try to open a different one. The problem is a user lack of wait for the page to finish settling. When I wait until the page is fully finished, I can open a different email message and the one I select will open. If I do not wait long enough, then the same one I already had open will open again. That is the situation I find using Yahoo mail. This is using either the paid arrangement or the free account. They both behave this way.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

@ FlannelBack,
No I never had the blank screen. Use Opera for years and years.
The mailbox opens fine, but the list of mails was jumping up and down as those "Trending" messages were reloading up top. It has stopped recently and I don't know whether yahoo stopped or I did something or a recent Opera version change. Oh, it's a free yahoo mail account and not using their new mail.

@ cafejose,
That's different. It is not waiting long enough that might cause what you describe.
Now, if it happens while the screen is jumping up and down - yes, it might be due to now waiting long enough. Unfortunately, when that "Trending" pest was on, you could not manage it because everytime yahoo pushed some search phrase of the day, or second, the screen needed refreshing. Hence the jumping. Once you managed to open a correct message, things were quiet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users