Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Set Association in the Control Panel....????

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chayisun

chayisun

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

I have Vista Home Premium and I have run into a problem....My Wife was going to watch a movie on the computer. Inserted disk into drive and got the following message:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.

Create an association in the SET ASSOCIATION CONTROL PANEL.

So, I went to start/control panel/programs/ then entered...Make a file type always open in a specific program

From that came a list of extensions with descriptions and current default.

I have absolutely NO idea how to figure out the extension of the movie or which extension to change.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is so frustrating and something completely out of the blue...

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

What kind of movie is it? Some legit commercial DVD?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 chayisun

chayisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

Yes, legitimate movie....Perfect Stranger with Bruce Willis. She played a movie yesterday and no problem, some love story thing, but tonight, well, it wouldn't work.

Just tried playing a music video and it didn't work either..

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

Go back to control panel and make sure .VOB extension is associated with a program, you normally use to play video files.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 chayisun

chayisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:07 PM

Thank you for the suggestion..Unfortunately, I don't have a .VOB listed and, I am assuming, that is not a good thing. I checked around and it seems there are sites that offer free downloads of that particular file....I am about to jettison Vista and buy Windows 7.

By the way, I tried a John Denver CD and got same message but I ignored it and right clicked and got a list of songs which played. Can't do that with the movie, though....Seems like I am stuck. Life is good..... :wacko:

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

Try system restore to couple of days ago.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 chayisun

chayisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:41 AM

Much, much thanks. That worked. That did solve the problem but I still have no idea what happened to cause this so on to further investigation. Not for long, mind you....

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

You're aware, that gremlins exist, aren't you? :)

Trust me, nothing to investigate. Things like this just happen.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users