ESET Online Scan ran fine using Firefox, and found no infections.
I then tried to run BitDefender using IE8. It again seemed to start out OK, but after the program loaded, the virus data started to load, got up to 22% and then just hung up. I waited 30 min to see if it was just running slow, but it was still at 22% after 30 min. I tried to stop the process using the cancel button, and it gave me a dialog saying it was cancelling, but just hung there again. After another 15 min wait, I used task manager to stop the application.
I restarted the computer and tried again using IE8 and I got up to the point of accepting the EULA and clicking start scan. When I did that, the screen flashed red with the message to click the information bar to download the program, then just went back to the way it was. The information bar did not show up, so I could not tell the computer to start the download.
I then realized that I had not disabled my antivirus program after the restart, before trying to scan. I disabled the antivirus and tried again, and it gave a message saying that it could not update the signatures, but it started to scan anyway. I then tried stopping the scan and restarting it, and this time it updated the virus signatures and scanned. I'm not sure why it seems to be working at some times and not others, but in any case it finished a scan and found no infections.
I am going to try Kaspersky scan in IE8 now.
Edited by jimworzala, 08 March 2011 - 12:49 PM.