Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install Windows 7 SP1

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BarryO

BarryO

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

A couple of weeks ago I posted on here that I couldn't download SP1 & was advised to leave it a few days as Microsoft servers would be busy. Well it's 2 weeks later & about 15 attempts and still no joy. I have attached the message I get. Any help pls?

TIA

Attached Files

• Attached File  SP1.JPG   34.6KB   29 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

Have you been able to receive Windows Updates prior to this?

Windows 7 SP1 Full Download this it that way.

#3 BarryO

BarryO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:36 PM

Thanks,
yes have been able to receive Windows Updates prior to this.

I've had the laptop for about 8 months

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

The only things I can think of that might help, would be to clean all temps, unplug any USB devices (external harddrive, printer, etc), disable any third party firewall, such as Norton's or? and use Windows firewall while downloading and installing. Don't have any other programs running in the background (messenger, office, etc.)

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

Adding to Jacee's suggestions, I'd temporarily disable User Account Control also. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/299-user-account-control-uac-change-notification-settings.html
FWIW, a quick Google search shows lots of people w/this problem and no real solution/cause. You may have reinstall or repair install, IMO.

Edited by Union_Thug, 07 March 2011 - 05:41 PM.

#6 NicciAdonai

NicciAdonai

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

I would go with the link provided by cryptodan. I would also recommend booting into safe mode before running the file to ensure that your system is as free from extraneous processes as possible.

If you still encounter problems, I will venture another suggestion. It may sound strange, but I would ensure that your drivers are up to date--especially chipset drivers. I installed XP SP3 for a customer once, and afterwards the OS would not boot normally. After about 4 hours of (free) troubleshooting, installing chipset drivers did the trick.

Also, a BIOS upgrade has fixed a Windows 7 slowdown problem for me, though that was an older XP Dell laptop that we clean-installed 7 onto. This may seem irrelevant, but the BIOS seemed unrelated to the slowdown problem, too. :)

Neither of these suggestions will likely work if you have a newer machine, but these are good ideas anyway so why not try them?

#7 BarryO

BarryO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

I tried jaycee & Union_Thug's ideas but not luck . Sorry cryptodan but do you mean to download the .iso file? when you say Full download

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

Yes, that's the .ISO file. Burn it to a CD or DVD at a slow speed.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

When i say full download you can either download the ISO or the one pertaining to your version of Windows 7. X86 is for 32bit versions and x64 is for 64bit. You can tell which version of Windows you hve by going to Start then in the box type in dxdiag. If you have a Run 64bit Dxdiag you have 64bit Version of Windows. If you do not then you have 32bit version, and download the executable accordingly.

#10 gigahurtz

gigahurtz

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

I would suggest resetting Windows Update components. You can do this by following directions here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us

#11 BarryO

BarryO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

Thanks all for your time

I downloaded the full download as Cryptodan suggested & it ran for half an hour then it failed , see attachment.

Then I tried the Fixit & again failed , see attachment. I am the only user of the laptop so assume I have sufficient priveleges

Attached Files

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

.......FWIW, a quick Google search shows lots of people w/this problem and no real solution/cause. You may have reinstall or repair install, IMO. (emph added)

What I meant there, but omitted, was that you may have to reinstall the Operating System.

#13 BarryO

BarryO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

I don't have a Windows 7 disc ,it came preinstalled

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

If it came pre-installed check your manual for how to activate the restoration partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users