Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low disk space, Installing steam games, Sharing Drives/partitions.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ryladine

ryladine

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

First of all, I know, its a terrible title but... its all true, and that's the best way I could think of to say it.

Now to explain my problem, I own Garrysmod, a steam source-mod. It is a game that grows dynamically as I connect to server's, download addons, and receive mandatory game updates.

The game file has exceeded 50Gb before.

After getting infected with "Windows 7 Antivirus Pro" and making (I freely admit it, and I REALLY should have known better) a terrible mistake and breaking all .exe's while removing the infection, I was forced to re-install windows. However, for whatever reason (another stupid mistake) I re-installed windows on the wrong hard-drive. So now my C: drive is only 150 Gb, and my backup (both of them) are 1TB.

I do not have the space to have garrysmod on my C: drive, which is where steam is installed (Last time I tried installing it somewhere else it would not work.)
------------------------------

Now that the background information is done lets move on to what you can help me with!

I have been looking for a way to install garrysmod on another hard-drive without reinstalling steam and trying to get it to work on another hard-drive. I believe I have found one, but I am really a coward when it comes to this sort of thing, (I HATE re-formatting) the solution I have found apparently tells the computer that the directory/file is on C: when it is actually on another hard-drive, but I found it in an old forum thread, and the member that had posted it was banned.

---Note: Garrysmod uses .Gfc's that are also used by other games, I would prefer not to break the other games---

The method I found uses the commands:

linkd
mklink

And maybe: fsutil

Here is the thread.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664376

------------------------
If you have a better solution, (Besides re-installing) please be sure to mention it!
"Ignorance is not stupidity, refusing to correct it is. Stupidity should be a crime punishable by death." A soon to be famous quote by: Ryladine

Most scientist's think that man is the dominant species on earth, I know the truth, its not man that is the dominant species, its cats.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ryladine

ryladine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

Will that work the way it seems to? and can anyone explain it a little bit more clearly?

Edited by ryladine, 07 March 2011 - 05:51 PM.

"Ignorance is not stupidity, refusing to correct it is. Stupidity should be a crime punishable by death." A soon to be famous quote by: Ryladine

Most scientist's think that man is the dominant species on earth, I know the truth, its not man that is the dominant species, its cats.

#3 ryladine

ryladine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

Terribly sorry for the bump, but a few hours searching later, and I found my own answer, for anyone that needs to do this:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_master_your_file_system_mklink

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

Self-resolution is good...thanks for posting your situation/solution.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users