Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow broadband on LAN Only

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bean_counter

Bean_counter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hi Experts

Having real trouble with this one, the symptoms are that my desktop PC is getting very slow broadband down to 0.17 Mbits at times although it can also go up to 3.5 very occasionally.

I thought this was a contention issue and have been raving at my ISP, BUT this weekend did some tests with a laptop and on wireless the laptop is consistently getting 5.0 Mb plus, even when the desktop is getting less than 0.5.

Using XP SP3, and this started about two weeks ago with no prior problems, I use IE only for windows updates otherwise pure Firefox

OK have changed the router for a brand new one, have replaced the telephone cables, and have bought a brand new network cable, have rung virus checker in safe mode, have taken computer apart and cleaned it, but to no avail.

Things I have not tried yet and might have to, a) Using the desktop on wireless, I don't have a USB wirelss key but could get one, or B) changing the network card, current one is integral so I will need to add a card and change the start-up but not real issues there.

Before I spend any more money, is there anything else I could check?

EDIT: Removed HJT log, no indication of malware reported and HJT logs are not part of troubleshooting system issues ~ Hamluis.
As usual any help or advice very gratefull received

Thank you

Bean_counter

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2011 - 12:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

Well...if I had a wireless connection that worked properly...and a wired connection that didn't...I'd suspect the wired NIC hardware.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users