Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Script Host Question

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 KDNeese

KDNeese

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:42 PM

After several days of total frustration and attempting to find an answer from my software's technical support, I thought I would see if anybody here could help me out with this mystery. I am trying to update to a new version of my antispyware, but apparently, in order to do so, it has to run some kind of script. The new version attempts to install via Windows Installer, gets to a certain point, then an error message comes up that says, ""Windows Script Host Access is disabled on this machine - Contact your administrator for details." Personally, I still can't understand the necessity of having an "administrator" on a ONE-USER HOME COMPUTER... Seems totally ridiculous and ultimately frustrating. Anyway, I asked the administrator (hey, that's ME!) and he didn't have a clue what the stupid thing was talking about. I have corresponded back and forth with the support staff and they have me running around in circles trying different things that I knew wouldn't work in the first place. However, in every email I keep asking the same question that nobody will give me a straightforward answer to: WHY is my Windows Script Host disabled and WHAT would cause it to become that way?

I have tried every trick I know. I have gone into Internet Options and temporarily changed all the I.E. settings to allow scripts, etc. I have Analog-X Script Defender installed, but set it not to intercept scripts while I was trying to install the software. I downloaded and re-installed VBRuntime and all the accompanying files that support said to download and install. I have run a utility that was supposedly to configure the registry so the computer would allow scripting. Nothing works. I go into Windows Explorer, look under System 32 and double-click on wscript.exe or cscript.exe and it gives me the exact same box with the same message that I receive when attempting to install my software update. So, does anybody have any idea why this is happening or can give me some suggestions to fix the problem. I know that several websites have articles stating that having VB scripting enabled is a security issue, so it seems strange to me in the first place that security software needs this to install itself when I'm sure there are many people like me who got rid of the VB files (which I downloaded from Microsoft and re-installed at the behest of software support). I would really like to update to a newer version of my software, especially since I still have close to a year left on my subscription. I am beginning to think that the antispyware at times is worse than the spyware itself, and also wonder at times if I would just be better off without it. Anyway, if anybody has any suggestions or thoughts as to why I am getting this error message, it would be most appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users