Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE7 changed desktop icons

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 teaside

teaside

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

I have stayed with IE6 because it worked fine for my needs. A few sites keep bugging me to upgrade to IE7 because they no longer support IE6. This morning I upgraded (for the 3rd time I might add over the past few years). Each upgrade was downgraded because some nerd at Microsoft decided I would surely want all his useless crappola on my system. I had desktop icons depicting my choices and now I have a bunch of stylized e's. No amount of "change icon" choices will change to MY choice. IE7 also has bars, click here, click there etc all over the map. NOT my choices. Not sure what to do now except revert back to IE6 and let the chips fall where they may.
Anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

Please be more explicit - "crapola" and "bars, click here" don't help us understand what you are complaining about. If you don't like the desktop icons, delete them. If it's something else please explain clearly. Thank you.

#3 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

For example: For Bell Telephone I had an icon of a telephone, now it is the Microsoft styilized e. For Finances I had an icon of a pile of paper money and a stack of coins on either side, now it is just e, for Electricity Trends I had a lightbulb icon, now just the e. My use of the word crappola was to signify far too much clutter on the screen. Hope this helps. teaside

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:00 AM

Okay. That is not normal behavior when installing IE. When you double-click on any of those desktop icons, does the program open?

#5 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:19 AM

Yes they all open as before. I just am not impressed with a desktop of e's.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

Yeah, I understand that. One thing at a time.

Right-click on the desktop, then properties, appearance, effects, and un-check "use large icons". What happens?

Edited by Allan, 07 March 2011 - 11:23 AM.

#7 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

WOW. Yes the icons got a lot smaller and many (not all) icons either changed to my original choices or the web sites choices. Bloomberg is now a small round clock. NEWSPAPERS desktop folder icon is now a folded newspaper as it was originally but the internal folder choices are still the e. Electricity is back to a lightbulb. I neglected to mention that I am using a 24 inch monitor and the smaller icon size is a bit of a bummer appearance wise. Other icons have taken on different icons than before but no longer the e. RED FLAG deals used to be a folded newspaper and is now a telephone. FINANCES is the coins again but the some of the folder choices are back and others are still e's.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

Okay, for the others try creating new shortcuts (right-click on the desktop - new - shortcut. Do they appear with the correct icon(s)?

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:57 AM

Once you have all of the icons the way you like them do this: right-click on each icon individually - properties - general tab - and but a tick in "read only". Save the changes. You should now be able to resize them without issue. Let us know for sure.

BTW - just curious. As long as you were upgrading why didn't you go to IE8 instead of IE7?

Edited by Allan, 07 March 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#10 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:21 PM

BTW - just curious. As long as you were upgrading why didn't you go to IE8 instead of IE7? I had a fast check a few days ago but for whatever reason I decided on IE7. As a last resort I will install IE8 and see if I like it any better than 7. Yes I can create new desktop icons with my choice of picture (avatar?) but the internal selections within a folder refuse to change. Way too many to fiddle around with. So it will be either IE8 or IE6. Stay tuned.

#11 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

YESSSS !!!! Installed IE8 and my original icons are back! Did a fast check on internal folder icons and they too are back. Desktop icons were all bunched up to the left but desktop icon restore program got most of them back. It needs some work but that is not a problem. Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Next step is to go out and buy a car with automatic shift. :wink: teaside

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

<<...I will install IE8 and see if I like it any better than 7.>>

I thought that browser versions...were a matter of system security, not personal likes/dislikes. IE 8 is more secure than any earlier version, which is why it is the browser of choice (at the moment) for those using IE.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resultsForCategory.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=6

Louis

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

YESSSS !!!! Installed IE8 and my original icons are back! Did a fast check on internal folder icons and they too are back. Desktop icons were all bunched up to the left but desktop icon restore program got most of them back. It needs some work but that is not a problem. Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Next step is to go out and buy a car with automatic shift. :wink: teaside

Attaboy. Glad you're all sorted out :)
While you're looking at that car you might want to check for air conditioning too - I hear they're beginning to offer that as an option these days :P

Edited by Allan, 07 March 2011 - 12:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users