Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

seagate dos tool not working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

I am working on a Dell Laptop with a seagate 160gb sata hdd. I have attempted to test the hdd with SeaTools (DOS version), and I get an error, and then it stops. It does not continue to boot, just stops. I have run the Chkdsk with both options checked, and it does not report any issues. I have run the Windows version of SeaTools and the drive fails the short and the long in about a minute. It then instructs me to use the DOS/bootable version, but it won't run. I have gone to Seagate website and downloaded the latest DOS version, and still no go. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

Exactly what happens when you run it? Is the system actually booting to the disk and does the diagnostic begin to run?

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

Yes it boots from the DVD drive, It begins by "Starting BCDW....ok." then just some GNU stuff, it gets to the point of "Loading XMS driver" then this error code:
"Invalid Opcode at 000B 0000 0402 086F 025D 0702 0702 0A83 0CEE 2132 0000 0000 0000"
Then it just stops. The system is Vista HP 32 bit, on a Dell Inspiron 1545. The reason I want to run SeaTools Utility is because it has been having problems booting. Sometimes it boots fine, others it needs to do a repair prior to booting. Then when in windows, again sometimes everything works fine, and sometimes things don't. There seems to be no consistency, and there are no minidumps, and the only errors that show up in "Event Viewer" say that "this usually points to a hardware problem", I have run Memtest86, and it came back without errors.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

It sounds as though you are not booting to the disk. Here is how to burn an .iso file: http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

#5 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

I used ImgBurn to burn the ISO to disc. I just tried it on another machine and it worked fine.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

Okay. Then at the risk of stating the obvious I have to believe there is a problem with the hd.

edit: just noticed you have a sata drive - I posted a link for WD tools but they are for eide

Edited by Allan, 07 March 2011 - 10:45 AM.

#7 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

I am not finding the link you said you posted..I did boot into the dell diagnostic and the hdd failed there as well. So I am going to call it a failed hdd. Next question is can I image the old hard drive over to the new one..I have never tried that before. I have used DriveImageXML to do image a good hdd over to a new hdd, but never a failing one??? Just asking???

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:19 AM

Sure, if you can get the image utility to work there's no reason not to. You can't copy physical hd problems if that's your concern.

#9 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

Well Thank you for your reply. I have always wanted to try it, I usually hook up the drive I want to copy from on an USB adapter to another machine and make an image, and then transfer the image to new drive, just never knew if there would be issues with the copied files. I will try it and post back how it went. Again, Thanks for you quick replies.
Scott
PS, I don't know how to mark this thread as solved? how do I do that??

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

Don't worry about marking it "solved".

BTW, while you can't copy hd errors, if there are any software problems they will, of course, be part of the image. But I assume you know that.

And you're most welcome :)

#11 nrogers64

nrogers64

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

In case anybody finds this thread, I just wanted to say that I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 and had the very same problem. I went into the BIOS, changed the SATA operation from AHCI to ATA and then I was able to successfully boot using the SeaTools for DOS CD.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:04 AM

Thank you for posting nrogers64
  • That may solve a puzzle and help out other members in the future encountering the same issue.

Link to another topic concerning the same subject, namely SeaTools for DOS not able to be used on a Dell Inspiron 1545:
  • http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic459918.html/page__view__findpost__p__2783211

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 July 2012 - 01:06 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users