Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a 2nd monitor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Christechie

Christechie

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

I have a Dell OptiPlex GX620 desktop. It has both a VGA and a DVI-D video card installed. Currently I have a VGA monitor connected to the VGA port. I want to and a 2nd monitor to this system, but I only have another VGA monitor available. The purpose is to expand the desktop onto the 2nd monitor and not to repeat the image of the 1st monitor.

I've purchased a DVI-D to HD15 VGA adapter, which allowed me to plug the 2nd VGA monitor into the DVI-D port on the PC. Nothing comes up on the 2nd monitor. When I try to enable expanding the desktop to this 2nd monitor, the check mark disappears after I click Apply.

Is there a way to accomplish the extended desktop, with the 2 VGA monitors that I have and the 2 video adapters? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

Are you sure it's two separate video cards you have and not just VGA & DVI outputs on the same card?

#3 BLUEFIRE0424

BLUEFIRE0424

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:32 AM

not sure but seems to be a double post here :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic383080.html#entry2163774

#4 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Yes I'm sure! The VGA is on board and the DVI is on a riser card. We have these same PC's supporting dual monitors, where one monitor is VGA and the other is DVI. We don't have any more DVI monitors and that's the dilemma!!

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,808 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

This is a duplicate of the topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic383080.html

Therefore, I am closing this topic to avoid potential confusion and shall delete it later.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users