Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Laptop Hangs/Freezes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Peregrina

Peregrina

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:42 AM

I have an Asus G73JH-BST7 Laptop and recently it's been freezing. For the past two months it has had issues with programs hanging for 1-3 minutes then quickly responding again. About a week ago the laptop began to freeze and wouldn't come back and would required a hard restart. I decided to make use of my warranty and took it into a geek squad store. They told me they ran chkdsk and "other" tests to check the HDD and it passed all the tests and they couldn't "Replicate" the problem. So, I took the laptop back and it's still hanging/freezing. Whats the best way to go about diagnosing this?

Win7 64bit
intel core i7 Q740 @1.73GHz
6GBs RAM
Radeon HD 5870
600GB HDD @5200rpm
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

What happens in safe mode?

#3 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

What happens in safe mode?

It's only been 10 or 15 minutes sitting in safe mode, but I'll let it go for another hour or so since the longest it's gone without freezing up is maybe half an hour, then I'll report back.
Posted Image

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

good deal.

#5 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:56 AM

It's been over an hour and none of the symptoms that regularly show up have happened.
Posted Image

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

Okay. Next test:

Open msconfig and choose selective startup (disable everything from loading) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. However, if the problem continues even with the first selective startup it's still possible we're looking at a hardware related issue.

#7 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:09 AM

Alright, I just started with the first startup and immediately I notice some items still starting up automatically although they were unchecked like Steam, Fraps, Razer Mamba Config, Asus Live Update and a free version of Advanced System Care(Which I just went ahead and uninstalled since I don't use it anymore). Should those be starting up even if unselected in msconfig?
Posted Image

#8 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

I also took this time to update an Intel WiMax driver that I noticed was out of date.
Posted Image

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:20 AM

Okay, you're not doing the right way. On the GENERAL tab choose selective startup - then go from there.

#10 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

Okay, you're not doing the right way. On the GENERAL tab choose selective startup - then go from there.

Ok, I see now.
Posted Image

#11 Peregrina

Peregrina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

Alright, I've tried every program and I cant seem to get it to freeze up with any of them. I'm going to try a normal start up and see what happens. I did update that intel WiMax driver before I tried this selective start up. Could that of been it?

edit: I should add that I never used WiMax, but it would start up every time I used my computer.

Edited by Peregrina, 07 March 2011 - 02:23 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users