Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hangs/Freezes on X-25M Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jephph1

jephph1

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

Hey guys,

I just installed a new ssd (X-25m) on a clients computer along with Windows 7 64bit and 8GB of RAM. The computer hangs for anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 seconds+ and sometimes just freezes up all together until I restart. Sometimes, it freezes icons and I can still use the mouse, and can double click to start a program, but it won't start up until it unfreezes, then everything I've opened suddenly opens all at once. Other times, even the mouse is frozen, and I have to wait 30s to a minute before I get it back.

Things I've tried- all Windows Updates, and updated all chipset drivers for the mobo (MSI P6N SLI Platinum)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:10 AM

Do you have the latest Firmware update installed from Intel?
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Solid+State+Drives+and+Caching&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+High+Performance+Solid+State+Drive&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+X25-M+Solid+State+Drive,+120GB+SATA+II+2.5in,+MLC,+High+Performance,+34nm

#3 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:23 AM

Also see the reply from Barefoot Kid in this thread. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html
I have an nForce 750i board and had to use the Microsoft default drivers to enable TRIM.

For those with nForce boards, this method was worked out by Everlong and credit for that goes to him, thanks mate!

Just to put in here for nForce users, nForce boards do not support AHCI (with the exception of nForce boards that include onboard graphic cards), and also don't send the TRIM command for SSDs. It can do NCQ through its controller though. The JMicron SATA ports do support AHCI, but you'd get worse performance
running a HDD through these, than on the normal SATA ports.

You can uninstall the Nvidia controller though in Device Manager and install Microsoft's IDE Controller, which can send TRIM commands for SSDs.

Head to Device Manager (Open Start menu, type Device Manager), and click "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers", and you will see 3 Nvidia Serial ATA Controllers. Right click one of them and click "Properties" and go to the "Driver" tab. Click "Update Driver". Click "Browse my Computer", and then "Let me pick". You will see the option to choose "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller". Click this and click "Next" and let it install.

Do the same for the other two Nvidia Controllers in Device Manager and restart your system. After the controllers have installed, you will be asked to reboot again.

SSDs will now have a slight performance boost with the TRIM command, and also regular HDDs also have a slight increase as well.

[/font][/color]

Edited by Zuhl3156, 07 March 2011 - 08:27 AM.

#4 jephph1

jephph1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:33 PM

Update:
forgot to mention- ssd firmware was already up to date, and I have installed SP1 for Win7

New things tried-
sfc /scannow
chkdsk
flashed bios on mobo and video card
different sata cable
1 stick of RAM at a time
old RAM
only ms services on startup in msconfig

Seems like the ram is ruled out. Probably Windows 7 or the SSD. Going to try a few more things.

Tried the switching to microsoft ide drivers thing as well. No go.

#5 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

I found this in a NewEgg review. It might be relevant, or not, but here it is:
Installed fresh Win7 64bit ultimate and my system would randomly freeze. Updated firmware & drivers but still no-go. Changed power plan to NOT turn off idle disk drives and the problem went away.
When I first set everything up in my system I disabled the hiberfil.sys and went into power-plan advanced settings and set my drives to never 'sleep'.

#6 jephph1

jephph1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

I'm willing to try anything at this point. Alas, changing the power setting didn't work though either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users