Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VoIP and closed ports

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:31 AM

I just recently switched from a Motorola modem (which the cable tech took) to a ubee router/modem combo. I work from home so I have a phone that uses VoIP and now it no longer works. I tried to run a test through my company's site and I got a message stating:

Your computer couldn't call our location on the standard SIP port (5060). Generally, one of the following environmental issues causes this failure:

If you have a VoIP Service, your VoIP/Phone Adaptor may have reserved the standard SIP port and is filtering out our SIP packets. Consider temporarily removing the Adaptor from your configuration and re-running the test.
Your Personal Firewall, if you are using Windows XP, may be filtering the SIP and UDP ports used for communication.
Either your home firewall or your broadband provider's firewall may be blocking the SIP and UDP ports used for communication.
Please check these firewall settings and ensure that UDP ports 5060 and 50000 - 50100 are open for RTP streams and SIP signaling. Then re-run your test.

How can I open the ports?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

Are you saying...that a tech came in and switched equipment...and did not test the connection before leaving?

Were the drivers from the old modem uninstalled, using Device Manager?

Louis

#3 Passion4Muzik

Passion4Muzik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

I wasn't asking the tech what he was doing every step of the way nor did he tell me. I was not aware that switching a modem would have an affect on VoIP. At this point, I want to know how to fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users