Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't turn on wireless radio

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Duircein

Duircein

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:51 AM

I cannot turn on my wireless radio. My kids were using the laptop within arms reach playing Wizard 101 when it lost connection. It did not appear to be a hardware issue since the laptop was just sitting on the table at the time, but I am not ruling it out. I uninstalled the hardware and reinstalled with no luck. I ran a Hijack This log as follows:

EDIT: HJT log removed, no indication of malware, HJT logs not to be used for system troublehooting of system issues, logs not permitted in Vista forum ~ Hamluis.

Please let me know what I need to do to isolate the problem. When I hardwire into the router, I have no problems. Also other wireless devices do not have problems connecting. I try to turn on the wireless radio and it never seems to turn on. I changed some settings to not allow the radio to be turned off, but that did not help either. Please let me know what I need to do.

Thank you

Edit: Sorry the computer is a Lenovo laptop with Vista Home Premium SP2. Pentium dual-core T4200 @2GHz, 3GB RAM. I do not appear to be having any other problems. It could be hardware, but I am having a hard time figuring it out.

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2011 - 01:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SunnySkyguy

SunnySkyguy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:48 AM

Dear Duircein,
Do you know how to manage your startups... that PC must run like a slug... I suggest Mike Lin's Startup monitor or better... www.Winpatrol.com . WHen you got it under control Taskmgr processes should be under 40 for VIsta after boot for decent performance. ( < 30 for XP and <50 for win7,, although half the above is possible. )

THen toggle your WIFI Fn key ... Mine is Fn & F2
Report Device Mgr Status for your Network Wireless adapter.

Anthony

(aka SunnySky) in Markham
I'd Rather be Golfing ...

if I'm not dis-arming tag-team polymorphic trojans ....

#3 Duircein

Duircein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Broadcom 802.11g Network adapter shows device as working properly, but when I go to turn it on. I have also unchecked the box to allow the computer to power down the wireless radio when not in use, but it still does not stay on.

Thanks on the startup. I don't use the computer that much but I guess over time it has collected some start ups.

Still no luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users