Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Restore to a Previous Point

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 donburt

donburt

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:42 PM

Hi,

I have an older Dell Dimension 4100 that is running Windows XP Home. I tried to install TurboTax and during the install, my computer crashed and now I cannot do the install (it thinks that TurboTax is already installed). I tried to restore my computer to a previous date, but when I do I get a message that Windows cannot restore my computer to that point. When I try another one, I get the same message. I disabled my antivirus (Norton 360), but that made no difference. Does anyone out there have a solution?

Thanks
Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:58 AM

Try to uninstall and then reinstall. You might want to try Revo Uninstaller which is a very handy program many of us use.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

#3 donburt

donburt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

I tried to uninstall, but I am still not able to remove all of Turbo Tax, but of greater concern to me is the fact that I cannot restore my computer to an earlier point. I will try the Revo uninstaller, though, when I get home.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, system restore is great. When it works. Hence the need for disc imaging software. Use it on a regular basis - create images to a second hd, keep the 2 or 3 most current images, and you'll always be prepared for the worst.

#5 donburt

donburt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

I don't see how a reply like that helps me. I obviously did not image my computer, so I am asking this forum (Which has proved invaluable in the past) to help me, not to add to my angst. :angry:

Edited by donburt, 07 March 2011 - 12:44 PM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

Sorry, wasn't trying to offend - just offering a suggestion for the future. If system restore won't work there's no way I know of to force it to.

Edited by Allan, 07 March 2011 - 12:45 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

Well...when someone suggests an alternative way of doing things...that is superior to that currently used...I would venture to guess that anger is inappropriate as a response.

The reason that System Restore cannot be counted on...are many, IMO...but the two most pertinent (IMO) would be the fact that it only encompasses the O/S (no data files) and it does tend to be unreliable. You could review the following links to see that, if you like.

System Restore Unreliable?

That's why many of us don't use SR and either make backup software or simply clone the system partition/drive.

Louis

#8 donburt

donburt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

I actually understand (now) that SR is unreliable AND that I should image my drive, but what I need to know is if there is any possible way to GET my system restore to work correctly? You guys have helped me out of jams before and I was really hoping I could find some relief from my IT guy at work lecturing me that: "SP is unreliable, you should image the drive."

I hope you can appreciate my frustration. I also hope that someone out there can provide me an answer and then I promise to Ghost my drive.

#9 donburt

donburt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

I guess what I need to know is: Why will SP not return my system back to the configuration that it was in before Turbo Tax crashed it. When I try to install TT i get a prompt that there it is already installed and when I try to uninstall, it errors out. So, in theory, if SR is working, whatever artifact that TT left before the crash would be removed, allowing me to install. Is that line of reasoning correct, or am I looking at SR the wrong way?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

Well...I don't use SR...but I think your reasoning is correct.

Unless key system files are damaged...or there's a hardware problem of some sort...or there's a malware issue of some sort.

I don't believe that SR is effective in those situations.

Just my guess.

Louis

#11 willythecat

willythecat

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:43 PM

I'm a bit of a numbskull when it comes to computers, but what l would do first is -
1) Get rid of TT. I use Moveonboot. You just enter the directory where TT is installed, and reboot. Voila it's all gone!
Should be able to get it here
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/MoveOnBoot.shtml
2) Start, Control Panel, System, System Restore. Make sure that system restore is turned on.
3) Start, Run, (type in restore) and select ok. In the screen that appears double click on rstrui.
In the next screen that appears select restore my computer to an earlier time. You should then have a list of previous dates to restore from.
Is this of any help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users