Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Office 2010

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MikeHS

MikeHS

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite laptop last year. It came with Windows 7 installed, along with a number of 'free' applications. Free is in quotes because, of course, they aren't; they're time limited and you have to buy them after a certain 'trial' period. Most of these were easy to remove with the Uninstall command but Office 2010 has proven to be a bit more tenacious. I have successfully installed Office 97 and have had no difficulty running those applications by starting the application first, then opening the data file from within the program. I have also been able to establish the Office 97 applications as the defaults for the applicable data types. However, when I attempt to open a data file by double clicking the icon, the Office 2010 application opens the file. This is a very limited run mode - it won't save the file and most operations are disabled. When I attempt to uninstall the 2010 applications again they do not appear in the program list.

The applications appear to be resident in the path C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Microsoft Office/Office12. I am able to rename the files, but when I next open the data files the 2010 application files are reinstalled in the same folder and they then open the data file in the usual limited mode.

How do I get rid of Office 2010, which I'm not going to buy, and use the Office 97 applications I've paid for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

Microsoft to the rescue Remove Office 2010

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 MikeHS

MikeHS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

Thanks, but that didn't work. I did learn something, however. It's not Office 2010 that's trying to run, it's Office 2007. Where that came from I have no idea. A trial version of Office 2010 was installed on the computer when I bought it, and I installed Office 98 (which I own) so I could use the Office applications without buying another version for $200. When I attempted to open a data file created in Office 98 on another machine, Office 2010 was the application that loaded and opened the file. I used the Uninstall function in the Control Panel to remove Office 2010 which apparently worked as there's no sign of it in the Installed Programs list, the Start Menu or the Program Files directory on the hard disk.

But, there's also no sign of Office 2007 in any of those places, either. The applications which load are essentially not functioning - virtually every operation is grayed out and not available, and the uninstall operations contained in the above instructions are not available (there is no Help command, for instance). I did track down an EXCEL application file in the c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 directory; I renamed it, double clicked an Excel data file, and the computer promptly reinstalled the application file in the same directory and opened the application in the nonfunctioning mode.

What is it that's installing Office 2007?

#4 MikeHS

MikeHS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

Office 2007 is in the list of installed programs. I selected it and clicked Uninstall, then got a message saying it may not have uninstalled properly and did I want to change the uninstall parameters (or something like that). The other option was to select that it had indeed uninstalled properly. With no information to use in making the choice, I chose the latter - that it had uninstalled correctly. The window closed but Office 2007 is still on the list, and now selecting it and clicking on Uninstall has no effect. And the Office 2007 applications still run in nonfunctional mode when you open an Office data file.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

Try the Microsoft Office 2007 uninstaller.

Personally I would backup and regroup a bit.
I would uninstall ALL versions of office that you have on the system then reboot and install only the version you want.

I loved Office 97. It did everything I needed it to do.
Last I checked when you type ABC in any version of Word you get ABC
1 + 1 = 2 in every version of Excel.
Anything other than that is bells and whistles.

Newer doesnt necessarily mean better.
I dont like the newer versions of Office and am perfectly content with Office 2000 which I run.
To me, the newer versions are too cluttered.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 MikeHS

MikeHS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:00 PM

That worked! Thanks!

It took two tries; the first attempt just stopped working without removing any files, but the second attempt worked just fine.

Your advice to remove all MS Office applications was right on; the 2007 uninstaller also removes some support files that 98 uses, so reinstalling 98 was necessary in any case.

Thanks, again.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

Good deal. I thought that would be the case.
Glad to hear it worked!

Good job!! :thumbup2:
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users